The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that the I Promise School opened Monday in Akron for 240 third- and fourth-graders.
A grand opening ceremony featuring remarks from LeBron James will take place at the school located at 400 West Market Street at approximately 3 p.m. It has both a longer school day and a longer school year, there will be over 40 staff members, and students that complete the school's program (which has already been ongoing) will get tuition provided by James at the University of Akron, beginning in 2021. It even assists the kids' parents land a job and promises those who will graduate free tertiary education. Before he announced his decision to go to Los Angeles, there were rumors that his oldest son, LeBron James Jr., made a commitment to play at basketball powerhouse Sierra Canyon High School in nearby Chatsworth, California.
"I would never sit across from him", he said.
Knowing that students can not learn if they are struggling with issues such as hunger, trauma, or other logistical or emotional challenges, IPS will provide support to help eliminate those barriers and prepare the child physically and emotionally for learning, according to the statement.
"If we look at some of the greatest leaders of our time, you look at, you know, Muhammad Ali, you look at Dr. Martin Luther King, and all the adversity they went through", he told Lemon.
Two years after delivering on his promise to Cavs fans and bringing Cleveland it's first major sports championship since 1964, LeBron delivered on a much bigger promise, one that gives hope to so many kids who at times feel hopeless.
James has become politically outspoken over the past few years, particularly over racial issues, and during his conversation with Lemon he accused Trump of intentionally being divisive. "And I was like, "Oh wow, this is all because of sports". Every race comes together for one common goal and that's to win and to have fun and to have camaraderie and things like that. "No kid at eight, nine should have that stress.so I know exactly what a lot of these kids are going through".
Then you look at the Lakers. I am happy to be a part of the culture and us getting back to that point, Bron explained.. Those skills could transfer should James want to learn more about governmental departments that focus on energy, housing and urban development, and defense.
"School didn't mean anything to me", he said.
- Will the ongoing rate hike cycle be a shallow one?
- Shares of Tyson Fell Over 7% Following Profit Outlook Cut
- The TSA has been secretly monitoring US airline passengers using air marshals
- International News Chelsea boss unhappy with Willian 4 hours ago
- Jerry Jones, Dallas Cowboys owner, not taking questions on national anthem
- Split concerns force Durex to recall some condoms in UK…
- Tommy Robinson wins appeal over contempt sentence
- Crisis averted: Darnold signs contract with Jets
- Donald Trump calls on Jeff Sessions to stop Robert Mueller's Russian Federation probe
- Basic income program cut 'devastating' for recipients