Every year, The Global Footprint Network (GFN) calculates how much of the Earth's resources humans use, from water to air, and the day each year when humans overshoots the planet's ability to annually regenerate itself.
"We use more ecological resources and services than nature can regenerate through over-fishing, over-harvesting forests, and emitting more carbon dioxide into the atmosphere than ecosystems can absorb", the environmental advocates explain on their website.
Other ways to address the overshoot include reducing meat consumption, developing wildlife-friendly renewable energy sources and universal access to birth control and family planning, the Center for Biological Diversity said. Cape Town in South Africa is only a year away from running out of water, and many cities in India have already reached that state.
The earth pays the price of overusing natural resources of the world and each individual has a duty to stop it. Climate change, wildfires, untimely and unnatural rain fall, excessive heat, drought and floods are all the results of the over usage of natural resources.
He likened the world's economies to using Earth's future resources to operate in the present and creating a deeper ecological debt.
"These are the consequences of busting the ecological budget of our one and only planet".
If we cut our food waste in half, improved our efficiency in food production and consumed world-average calories, we would move the overshoot date back 38 days. This year, Overshoot Day came the earliest since 1970, when calculations began, namely on August 1st.
The network also said rethinking energy systems and having one less child would save another 93 and 30 days respectively. The day marks the annual point where humans reportedly use up more resources than the Earth can produce during that year.
- Apple Makes History As The World's First $1 Trillion Company
- Sisters Eugenie and Beatrice put on stylish front in Vogue's September issue
- Transfer: Tottenham set to beat Chelsea over Zaha’s signature
- Manitoba child the province's first human case of West Nile for 2018
- Trade threats unnerve global markets
- Mars is the closest it has been to Earth in 15 years
- Mueller offers Trump team new proposal for interview
- Ben Affleck, Matt Damon Team for Movie About a McDonald's Monopoly Scheme
- Formula One: Ricciardo to quit Red Bull at end of season
- When Fortnite for Android Launches, You Won't Find It on Google Play