The Southwest District Health Department said that the man lives in Canyon County, but may have been exposed in Adams County as well. "Mosquitoes pick up the virus from infected birds, and when they go on to bite humans or animals, the infection spreads", Dr Jayashree explained.
Maryland's Department of Agriculture said it found the virus in mosquitoes collected in the Riverdale Park area of Prince George's County.
Public health officials across the region have been warning about the risks of West Nile, especially after the unusually rainy July weather.
Prince George's County announced its first human case of the virus on Wednesday.
The number of confirmed infections can vary from year to year.
Three mosquito pools have tested positive for the West Nile virus in Peel Region, a spokesperson for Peel Public Health confirms.
In Maryland, there were five reported cases of West Nile a year ago, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
About 80 percent of infected people show no symptoms at all.
Months after the Kerala state government issued an all-clear for the Nipah virus, reports have emerged alleging that two people have been admitted to the Calicut Medical College in Kozhikode district, with what is suspected to be West Nile Fever.
"With high levels of [West Nile Virus] in mosquitoes and the recent rains leading to even more mosquitoes, it's important for residents of Fairfax County to take precautions to protect themselves and their families", the Fairfax County Health Department said in a news release.
Callanan said the efforts residents are making to reduce mosquito breeding sites on their properties are helping every year.
The most vulnerable to the virus are people age 50 and older and those who have weakened immune systems because of diseases such as diabetes and cancer.
- Tim Allen on Roseanne Firing: Comedy's 'Dangerous' in Today's PC Culture
- Google plans return to China search market with censored app
- Trade threats unnerve global markets
- Reward for Mollie Tibbetts' safe return raises to $172000
- Tyson Beckford Continues Kim Kardashian Feud By Insisting He's Not Gay
- China’s Caixin Manufacturing PMI eases to 50.8 in July, 8-month lows
- Luka Modric's agents are negotiating a move to Inter Milan
- Drake's executive produced a show that's been compared to Trainspotting
- Transfer: Tottenham set to beat Chelsea over Zaha’s signature
- China warns of retaliation if US takes more trade steps