Four cases of the disease were positively confirmed in the country's North Kivu province and more are anticipated, Dr. Oly Ilunga Kalenga, the country's health minister, said.
Officials have not confirmed the particular strain of Ebola causing the outbreak, which may have killed 20 people, but WHO's emergency response chief Peter Salama said it could be the Zaire, Sudan or Bundibugyo strain.
In addition, 12 Ministry of Health experts including epidemiologists and doctors will travel to Beni with a mobile laboratory and protective equipment from the National Institute of Biomedical Research in Kinshasa. "Although we did not expect to face a 10th epidemic so early, the detection of the virus is an indicator of the proper functioning of the surveillance system", a DRC Ministry of Health communique said.
The province, known as North Kivu, is a conflict zone and is home to 1 million displaced people.
The Ministry also stressed that there was no connection that the "defeated" northwest outbreak - which lasted over 40 days and killed 33 people was related to the current one. "What adds to our confidence in the country's ability to respond is the transparency they have displayed once again". The DRC said 26 people have reported illnesses. Six samples from these patients were tested, and four tested positive for Ebola, the ministry said.
Authorities did not immediately say how many cases had been detected. "It is, on the other hand, worrying that this area is a conflict zone.It is an area with lots of displacement, so the access can be hampered in that way".
During the last major Ebola outbreak in 2014, 11,000 people died when the virus spread across the West African countries of Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone.
- Death toll rises to 52 in Saudi-led airstrikes on Yemen's Hodeidah
- China threatens to impose retaliatory tariffs on USA natural gas
- Trump Rips 'Fake News' as He Backs Ivanka on Media Support
- In First Coaches’ Poll Of 2018 Season
- N.Korea has not stopped nuclear, missile program : confidential U.N
- China unveils additional retaliatory tariffs on $60bn of United States goods
- Shared locations on Google Maps now include battery life
- NBA, MGM sign historic sports gambling partnership
- Jessica Lange to Return to 'American Horror Story' for Season 8
- Danes protest ban on wearing face veils in public