Rumors have been swirling that the enormously popular battle royale game Fortnite will not be on the Google Play Store when it arrives on Android, and now multiple news outlets are confirming that the rumors are true.
According to a Toucharcade interview with Fortnite publisher Epic Games' Tim Sweeney, users will be directed to the Fortnite website to "sideload" an APK file (an Android package file) called Fortnite Installer, which then in turn installs Fortnite.
'The great thing about the Internet and the digital revolution is that this is possible, now that physical storefronts and middlemen distributors are no longer required'. But the bigger reason behind the move could be to do with the 30% revenue cut on the Google Play Store.
But more importantly, Epic Games doesn't want to pony up for Google's 30 percent cut that it takes as a tax on purchases, because the game makes all its funding entirely through said purchases. Sweeney went on to say that Epic is "intimately familiar with these costs" from offering Fortnite directly on Mac and PC.
The lengthy FAQ can be found at Eurogamer-but it doesn't include an answer to the million-dollar question of exactly when Fortnite will launch on Android for public consumption, nor exactly which hardware it will be compatible with at launch. Given the success of the PC and console version of the game, it was only a matter of time before it made its way to mobile platforms.
Instead, Epic Games will be releasing the game on their own, completely foregoing any typical store.
Epic Games can go down this route on Android because the platform allows users to install apps from sources other than the Google Play Store. Sweeney thinks that all operating systems should provide security this way, rather than allowing a single store owner to decide what users can or cannot install.
Fortnite is already available on the Apple store after launching in April. First: The exclusive availability of Fortnite for Android on Samsung smartphones will increase their popularity and will probably boost the sales.
- Saudi Arabia expelling Canadian ambassador and suspending new trade with Canada
- Trump acknowledges purpose of 2016 Trump Tower meeting with Russian lawyer
- Man Arrested After Allegedly Taunting Yellowstone Bison In Viral Video
- Venezuela arrests six 'terrorists' over attempted Maduro hit
- Two Elderly Men Escape Nursing Home, Go to Metal Festival
- Hitman is a good get for Xbox Game Pass
- Saturday marks first-ever Barack Obama Day in IL
- RBS profits nearly wiped out on USA fine
- Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie had huge fight over shoes
- Youngest female jailed in UK for terrorism