Campbell was visiting NY with his parents.
A family from Stillwater, Oklahoma, on vacation in New York City, made a horrifying discovery on Sunday: Sitting on a bench overlooking the East River, they were disturbed to find the body of a baby boy floating, face-up in only a diaper, near the Brooklyn Bridge. Her husband, Monte, waded into shallow water near the Manhattan shoreline, retrieved the baby and started CPR.
Police say it wasn't immediately clear why the child was in the water, and no parent or guardian was present.
Tourists from Oklahoma saw the baby around 4 p.m. and Monte Campbell went into the water to get him, his wife told Pix 11.
A medical examiner is working to determine the cause of death.
According to The New York Times, the family had just taken a ferry trip to the Statue of Liberty and were sitting on a bench by the river making dinner plans.
Police say the child was found laying on an embankment at the water's edge. The child is believed to have been approximately 8 months old.
"That's when I spotted the baby".
Police arrived just minutes later and brought the baby onto the pedestrian walkway where they continued CPR until EMS responded.
The baby was rushed to the hospital where he died.
Mrs Campbell said she took photos of him in the hope that they would help to find his parents.
- Videos of Priyanka Chopra and Nick Jonas at Singapore club
- Trump has a guilty conscience over Trump Tower meeting: CNN legal analyst
- Apple, Facebook ban content of United States conspiracy theorist Alex Jones
- Australia announces extra $140 million aid package for drought-hit farmers
- Nishikori nemesis Zverev reaches semi-finals, Murray withdraws
- Women's Month: Mothers are encouraged to breastfeed regardless of HIV status
- Kourtney Kardashian Calls Sisters 'Disgusting' In Stormy Season Premiere
- Trump, Jerry Brown make dueling claims on cause of California fires
- Serena Williams withdraws from Rogers Cup
- Benintendi's walk-off seals Red Sox sweep