Maximum sustained winds have increased to near 140 miles per hour (220 km/h) with higher gusts.
Forecasters with the Central Pacific Hurricane Center say, "While the official forecast track continues to lie to the south of the Hawaiian islands, only a slight deviation to the north of the forecast track would significantly increase potential impacts to the state of Hawaii".
Forecasters say it is still too soon to say whether Hurricane Hector will touch down in Hawaii since the storm is still fluctuating and will likely weaken by Wednesday.
Hurricane Hector was swirling harmlessly in the Pacific about 1,700 miles east of Big Island but it grew into a category three hurricane on Friday as its maximum sustained winds reached 120mph.
Even as a months-long volcanic eruption goes on, Hawaii is now on alert for a unsafe hurricane forecast to pass south of the islands at midweek. "Now is a good time for everyone in the Hawaiian Islands to ensure that they have their hurricane plan in place". "Gusty winds, rough surf, coastal flooding, and rip currents can be expected", the NWS said on Twitter.
Hawaii's Big Island is preparing for a possible hurricane - while a volcano continues to erupt on its shore.
Hector is on a trajectory that would see it hit the southern coast of Big Island on Wednesday morning - putting it on a collision course with Kilauea on the southern part of the island.
Hurricane Hector updated satellite imagery as of 11 p.m. on Sunday, Aug. 5, 2018.
Lava spewed from Kilauea since May 3 has covered 13.4 square miles (34.7 sq km) of the island's surface, destroying more than 700 homes and displacing thousands of residents.
- India vs England, 2nd Test: Dawid Malan, Ben Stokes of England squad
- Juan Martin del Potro, Fabio Fognini advance to Mifel Open final
- European Union Vows to Block US Sanctions on Iran
- Syrian scientist killed in apparent car-bomb attack
- Bundesliga Star Confirms That There Is 'Concrete Interest' From Liverpool & Chelsea
- Sakkari fells Venus Williams to reach semis in San Jose
- Hiroshima Marks 73rd Anniversary of Nuclear Attack
- Russian Federation seeks USA cooperation on Syria reconstruction and refugee return
- Gun control advocates protest outside National Rifle Association headquarters
- MoviePass slashes plan to three movies per month