Indiewire quotes "a source close to the production" that the problem stems from Depp's recent bad press: "With the climate around Depp right now, the studio chose to hold back releasing the movie until the situation improves or is resolved". Global Road Entertainment has pulled City of Lies from its release schedule a month before the film was due to hit theaters, and the distributor has not set a new date. According to the movie's synopsis, both Depp and Whitaker's characters are relentless in their quest to unveil a conspiracy over why the mystery of Smalls' death (which followed six months after rival Tupac Shakur's death in Las Vegas) remains unsolved. Brad Furman, the filmmaker behind The Lincoln Lawyer and Runner Runner, directed the drama.
The first trailer for City of Lies, formerly titled LAbyrinth, was released in May.
City of Lies was pulled from US release by Global Road Entertainment after Depp, one of the movie's stars, was sued by a location manager for punching him in the face.
Brooks alleged that in April 2017, Depp "screamed and berated" him until he was removed from the scene. Brooks also alleges that he was sacked when he wouldn't agree not to sue, according to Associated Press reports.
Depp, who faced accusations of domestic violence in his divorce from Amber Heard, previous year generated controversy for another film he's attached to, "Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald".
The enigmatic actor's has had a hard summer, including a Rolling Stone story that called his lifestyle and finances into question; ongoing fallout from domestic violence allegations made in 2016 by his ex-wife Amber Heard; as well as a lawsuit stemming from the shooting of City of Lies.
- Barca, Bayern agree on Vidal switch
- Sakkari fells Venus Williams to reach semis in San Jose
- Aston Villa re-sign Axel Tuanzebe on loan from Manchester United
- Slay queens resort to plastic surgery to look like Snapchat filters
- Legendary French chef Joel Robuchon dies at 73, spokeswoman says
- Who Won 'The Bachelorette' 2018? Becca Kufrin Chooses [Spoiler]!
- Puppies Rescued from Remote Island During 'Operation Gilligan's Island'
- $250 mil superyacht at centre of 1MDB scandal sails to Malaysia
- ‘Holy crap!’ Video shows breaching great white shark startle researcher
- Melania Trump praises LeBron James after Trump's insult