Norway House director Deb Vandekerkhove said that Cook heard crying coming from the island, in Cross Lake, Manitoba, the previous night, and thought it was wolves crying.
A litter of seven puppies was found this week, unattended and starving on an uninhabited island in the middle of a Canadian lake.
The fisherman returned with kennels and dog food for the dogs, donated by the Norway House Animal Rescue, as well as his own doghouse that he donated in order to give the pups shelter.
While the rescue was being planned, Vanderkerkhove said that the dogs would be named for the characters on Gilligan's Island: Gilligan, Skipper, Thurston Howell III, Wentworth Howell, Ginger, the Professor and Mary Ann.
"They were a little bit skittish at first when the volunteers that went up there found them on the island". Cook says he has no clue how they got there, but he knew the dogs needed help.
So, the two men got the animals food and reached out to the Norway House Animal Rescue.
The puppies have been bathed and are now being transported to Winnipeg for a check over from a vet.
Skipper and Gilligan are among the seven puppies stranded on a remote island - just like the cast of "Gilligan's Island".
Although initially nervous around humans, the puppies are becoming more sociable, and are set to be put up for adoption soon. The volunteer who is fostering the pups, along with Cook, came up with creative names for all of them.
The seven puppies have now been named after the characters on "Gilligan's Island", a famous 1960s sitcom about a group of people who are shipwrecked. They'll be available for adoption in three to four weeks, and "we have adoption applications already", Boeckler said.
- West Hollywood City Council votes to remove Trump’s Walk of Fame star
- ‘Mighty Ducks’ Actor Shaun Weiss Arrested for Public Intoxication
- MoviePass slashes plan to three movies per month
- Hiroshima Marks 73rd Anniversary of Nuclear Attack
- Sakkari fells Venus Williams to reach semis in San Jose
- NASA Announces Crews for Private 'Space Taxi' Project
- European Union Vows to Block US Sanctions on Iran
- Gun control advocates protest outside National Rifle Association headquarters
- Bundesliga Star Confirms That There Is 'Concrete Interest' From Liverpool & Chelsea
- Videos of Priyanka Chopra and Nick Jonas at Singapore club