As Sakkari's confidence grew, so did Collins' unforced error count and the Greek player battled to set points at 5-4.
A chaotic second set produced eight breaks of serve, but Sakkari held throughout the tie-break to secure passage to the last four.
Ahead of learning the identity of her opponent, former world number two Kuznetsova said: "I'll see whoever wins that match and just prepare my tactics".
Williams won this event in 2000 and 2002, earning her eighth appearance in the decider as recently as 2016.
Former world number one Azarenka, a two-time Australian Open victor, had won the first set 7-6 (7-4) but was trailing 0-3 in the second when she withdrew.Читайте также: Gun control advocates protest outside National Rifle Association headquarters
Venus' defeat follows the shocking upset three days ago of her sister Serena, who suffered the most lopsided loss of her career, 6-1, 6-0 to Johanna Konta in round one.
In a rematch of the pair's Hobart International final in January, Buzarnescu stepped up a gear in the second set, and reeled off six games in a row in the third to take a 4-6 6-3 6-1 victory.
"They're two very different players, and both of them are going to be really hard opponents for the final, but I'm just looking forward to playing".
Svetlana Kuznetsova had taken the first set against Yulia Putintseva and Donna Vekic was leading Magda Linette 3-0 in the opening set of their encounter when rain interrupted play. The Romanian will face No. 4 seed Elise Mertens.При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2019 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.
Код для вставки в блог
- Willian admits he's desperate to work with Jose Mourinho
- £670million-rated Luka Modric sends Real Madrid message
- Minecraft movie reportedly delayed after director leaves project
- Baby boy dies after being found in river near Brooklyn Bridge
- Women's Month: Mothers are encouraged to breastfeed regardless of HIV status
- European Union Vows to Block US Sanctions on Iran
- Legendary French chef Joel Robuchon dies at 73, spokeswoman says
- Trump has a guilty conscience over Trump Tower meeting: CNN legal analyst
- Supergirl Movie Reportedly In Development
- Samsung Galaxy Note 9 retail box caught on camera