A senior Syrian rocket scientist blown up by a auto bomb on Saturday was assassinated by the Israeli intelligence agency Mossad, according to a new account quoting informed Middle East intelligence sources. "Gen. Qassim Suleimani, commander of Iran's Quds Force, and other Iranians to begin production of precision-guided missiles in Syria by retrofitting heavy Syrian SM600 Tishreen rockets", adding that he "was hard at work building an underground weapons factory to replace one destroyed by Israel past year".
It's believed that the deceased had close ties with Al-Assad as well as the Iranian regime and, according to British-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, the unit being used for chemical weapons development.
His center was the target of Israeli air attacks last month and in September, the Observatory added.
Syria on Tuesday accused Israel of assassinating a top Syrian rocket scientist over the weekend, heightening the growing tensions between the two countries as Syrian government troops restore control over areas bordering Israel.
Aziz Asbar, who was working to update Syria's missile stockpile and make it more accurate, died in an explosion in the city of Masyaf on Saturday.
Katz spoke out as an anonymous official who was briefed on Asbar's death told The New York Times that Israel was responsible. Israeli officials, past and present, had refused to comment on the accusations, although Defence Minister Avigdor Liberman has sought to downplay the possibility of Israeli involvement. Every time they try to place the blame on us.
The Middle Eastern intelligence source said Asbar's killing was the fourth assassination attempt in three years by Israel on foreign soil against a weapons engineer employed by an enemy.
Another Israeli airstrike targeted the research center on July 22, Syrian state media and the Observatory reported.
The Times report suggested that Israeli has been launching fierce attacks against Iranian and Hezbollah forces in Syria because it fears that, once the civil war is over, those forces would turn against Israel.
- Women’s safety merely a slogan in BJP-ruled states, says Akhilesh
- Frustration builds as police stay mum on Mollie Tibbetts case
- Arsenal approach Barcelona for Ousmane Dembele
- Jerry Remy Diagnosed With Cancer Again
- Foreign affairs minister 'very keen' to quickly wrap up NAFTA negotiations
- Mendocino Complex Fire Now Fourth Largest in California History
- Rick Gates Forced Into Admitting Extramarital Affair by Paul Manafort’s Lawyer
- Brad Pitt's pals come to his defense: He's no deadbeat dad
- Colorado hail storm kills zoo animals, injures zoo visitors
- Oil prices rise as USA renews sanctions against Iran