'There are certainly areas we can improve, but we found a way to win under pressure, and wrestle momentum back in our favour. Despite a deceptive green tinge, the pitch here has generally been flat in recent times and ahead of this match the ground staff have been working against the elements to keep the moisture levels up in the hottest, driest conditions in decades, a situation that may favour another Asian touring side.
India lost the first Test by 31 runs and the second Test will start at the "Home of Cricket" from Thursday. We don't see any pattern to (the failures).
But world's premier Test batsman cautioned that every time it won't be possible for him to score but it doesn't matter till someone else takes the team over the line. That might play a big factor. It's nice to know we are doing the right things, but it's about taking those chances when they come'. We will take a look at the wicket but our bowlers have done extremely well in the last game.
The guys have thought quite clearly about how to try and get each individual out, and practise accordingly, and that's all you can ask from your team.
Jonny Bairstow and Jos Buttler are very confident players, Moeen Ali might not play but he is still a very positive cricketer so the environment in the team should enable Pope to feel confident enough to be busy, vibrant and basically be himself.
Pope comes in place of dropped Dawid Malan, which means England will have a new slip cordon in place.
Playing in his 71st match, Joe Root will walk through the Long Room on the first morning of a Test for the 11th time as an England player. It is not that you can't get out in sport and in cricket. The selectors also said that the pacer will be available for selection from the second Test. "Jasprit Bumrah, who has been included in the squad, will be available for selection from the 2nd Test onwards based on his fitness", the BCCI statement said when the squad was picked.
'On that last morning, he batted for 55 minutes and he faced 13-14 balls, ' he said.
"It is unfortunate we haven't been able to cross the line after coming so close, that is the only thing we are looking at".
Apart from Kohli, Root was the only other batsman to come away from Edgbaston with head held high. There's been a lot of talk about this - I look at this summer and twice I've managed to get past 50 and go on to make hundreds in succession.
And Root spoke of the confidence England had derived from winning a game which, on the third afternoon, seemed destined to end in defeat before Sam Curran turned the tide with a counter-attacking 63 from 65 balls. "Playing an extra batsman here, I would consider a conservative move", he said.
- Saudi Arabia Punishes Canada for Criticizing Human Rights Defenders' Arrests
- Spanish Eurofighter jet accidently launched an air-to-air missile in Estonian air space
- Elon Musk isn't kidding, Tesla board confirms TSLA could go private
- Matthew Perry Recovering From Gastrointestinal Perforation Repair Surgery
- New York GOP Rep. Chris Collins arrested over insider trading charges
- More Details And Characters Revealed For Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- Snapchat Parent Snap Posts Its First Loss in Daily Active Users
- Dubai tourist runs up $65,000 in speeding fines driving supercar
- Carrie Underwood, Mike Fisher expecting baby No. 2
- North Korea foreign minister visits Iran