The Turner deal does not include the rights to episodic TV titles such as Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels and the forthcoming Star Wars Resistance and Jon Favreau's live-action Star Wars series.
Walt Disney tried to buy back television rights to Star Wars' movies from AT&T's Turner Broadcasting so that it can offer them on a new streaming video service, according to two people familiar with the matter.
In a report from Bloomberg, it appears that the original Star Wars movies might not be included in Disney's streaming service. They are also reporting that part of the deal would have to include unnamed programming to replace the lost content. Turner, which is owned by AT&T, now has the rights until 2024 to show most of the movies on its cable networks, which in the United States include TNT and TBS, as well as streaming on the internet.
Disney may look to evolve its current cable deal regarding Star Wars rights ahead of the launch of its streaming service. The company has released four new Star Wars films since it acquired LucasFilm in 2012, and plans to release another in December 2019.
The deal Disney has with Turner is separate from Disney's Netflix agreement, which now allows Star Wars movies on the latter service. Netflix has attracted more than 130 million customers by using popular TV shows and movies from other companies. They own Marvel, The Muppets, Star Wars, and have decades worth of their own movies. That accord expires at the end of this year.
- Ahmed Shehzad dropped from Pakistan Cricket Board’s central contracts
- Mendocino Complex Fire Now Fourth Largest in California History
- Courtois agent advises Chelsea to accept Real Madrid offer
- Ruby Rose Is The CW's Batwoman
- DSS pulls out of n’assembly after sack of DG
- Cleaning crews discover dead fetus in plane at LGA
- Scotland’s weather: Summer could stretch into October
- Manafort’s former business partner drops bombshell testimony
- Frustration builds as police stay mum on Mollie Tibbetts case
- Stan Kroenke's takeover is sign global super league is coming