Saudi Arabia responded by reducing the level of diplomatic relations and stopping cooperation with Ottawa in several fields, most notably trade, education and medicine. The kingdom said today that it's transferring all Saudi patients from Canadian hospitals to medical facilities outside the country.
Following a tweet by Canada's foreign ministry calling for the immediate release of detained human rights activists, Saudi Arabia instigated a full-blown diplomatic crisis.
"The Kingdom views the Canadian position as an affront to the Kingdom that requires a sharp response to prevent any party from attempting to meddle with Saudi sovereignty", the Saudi foreign ministry said in a statement.
In addition, Canada's ambassador to the country was expelled earlier this week, while the Saudis recalled their own ambassador from Ottawa.
Samar Badawi was arrested along with fellow campaigner Nassima al-Sadah last week, the latest victims of what Human Rights Watch called an "unprecedented government crackdown on the women's rights movement". In fact, the United States honored her work by awarding her the International Women of Courage Award in 2012.
The Canadian dollar slid Wednesday after the Financial Times reported that Saudi Arabia had begun selling off its holdings of the country's bonds, stocks, and cash.
Russian Federation has said that Saudi Arabia has the right to reject Canada's interference and to express its annoyance at the "commanding tone" coming from a perceived position of moral superiority.
- Salman Khan Indirectly TAUNTS Priyanka Chopra For Her Mysterious Exit From Bharat
- "Spider-Man: Far From Home" Will Feature Samuel L. Jackson's Nick Fury
- Woman pulled from Lombok rubble as natural disaster death toll exceeds 100
- Astronomers find rogue planet dozen times more massive than Jupiter
- Perseid, The Most Popular Summer Meteor Shower, Peaks This Weekend
- Act on Antisemitism or Face 'Eternal Shame,' Deputy Leader of UK's Labour
- New York GOP Rep. Chris Collins arrested over insider trading charges
- Wolves Set To Give Adama Traore Medical
- SoftBank-backed Ola launches in the United Kingdom to challenge Uber
- Spanish Eurofighter jet accidently launched an air-to-air missile in Estonian air space