The 46-year-old has won three UEFA Europa League titles with Sevilla, a French Ligue 1 trophy and two French League Cups with Paris Saint-Germain, and has been known for his high-pressing, intensive style of play, which Arsenal have been missing during the past few underwhelming seasons.
New Arsenal boss Unai Emery is "not here to finish fifth" says Martin Keown, with the Spaniard capable of overseeing a flying start to the season against Manchester City. He must take more risks and continue his development.
While optimism is growing at Anfield, the same can not be said at last season's runners-up Manchester United who kick off the new season on Friday at home to Leicester City with a squad that is under-cooked, according to manager Jose Mourinho. "The Arsenal squad is not worse than those of the other teams".
"They return on Monday, train Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and today so you can imagine that they are not really fit and ready", he said, although he was happy that Chilean Alexis Sanchez was raring to go after a full pre-season.
Understandably, Arsenal fans were excited by the prospect of signing such a talented attacker but our joy was short-lived as respected BBC journalist David Ornstein was quick to play down the reports.
His side will have a familiar look away to Newcastle United in Saturday's early game.
But how have Arsenal been preparing for the new season?
The Gunners finished sixth last season and reached the Europa League semi-final in what was Arsene Wenger's final campaign at the helm.
Emery has wasted no time leaving his mark on the Gunners squad following the additions of Juventus veteran Stephan Lichtsteiner and Borussia Dortmund centre-half Sokratis Papastathopoulos.
Fulham host Crystal Palace while Wolves face Everton.
- The wrong Tommy Fleetwood got massive British Open check
- CPS urges moms to breastfeed
- Syrian First Lady Asma Assad treated for breast cancer
- Study finds female doctors better for heart patients
- Everton and Manchester United Battling For Kurt Zouma, Talks Opened
- Jose Mourinho: Man Utd boss 'not confident' of deadline day signing
- Gates says he helped Manafort hide payments
- Khalil Mack trade rumors: Los Angeles Rams should make a deal
- The Academy announces new changes to the Oscars, including popular film category
- Ruby Rose cast as lesbian superhero Batwoman for The CW