Yet a downbeat Mourinho has admitted he may not get the defender he listed as his top priority when he submitted his transfer wish-list last May, as he admitted he was growing exhausted of the endless speculation ahead of transfer deadline day.
Mourinho also suggested he had not been given enough credit for guiding United to a runners-up finish in the Premier League last season, as he again suggested the negativity around the club was misplaced.
'My view is that first of all it's hard for me to believe we finished second, ' said Mourinho of last season.
"Do I think he will still be manager of Manchester United this time next year?"
"I'm not confident", Mourinho said, when asked whether there would be more players arriving before the deadline.
Manchester United have signed Shakhtar Donetsk star Fred, FC Porto defender Diogo Dalot and Stoke City goalkeeper Lee Grant this summer.
Mourinho has regularly voiced his annoyance at the lack of summer signings through the door at Old Trafford. 'When I listen, when I read, it's hard to believe we finished second because you are capable of making people who finish second (sound like we) were relegated.
Manchester City won the league 19 points ahead of their bitter rivals United last term but Mourinho feels like it was a great success when he takes into account some of the criticism he faced.
Manchester United stormed to a 4-0 win over West Ham United last season, and they are second to Chelsea with 13 wins in their last 20 opening day matches, while Arsenal won a seven-goal thriller with Leicester last season in their first match, as they beat the Foxes 4-3, and the Gunners have won 12 of their opening 20 matches in the Premier League.
Marcus Rashford, Victor Lindelof and Romelu Lukaku returned early and should be available. "In Championship Manager you can just press a button".
Castles said: "Everton, I'm told, have agreed a fee with Barcelona".
- Coroner States That Margot Kidder's Death Was An Intentional Overdose
- CPS urges moms to breastfeed
- Chelsea set for record Kepa swoop as transfer deadline looms
- Premier League CEO reveals his dislike for Man City's dominance
- The Academy announces new changes to the Oscars, including popular film category
- Grieving orca still swimming with her dead calf off Washington coast
- Gates says he helped Manafort hide payments
- United Kingdom to seek Russian extraditions in Skripal case
- Study finds female doctors better for heart patients
- Qualcomm will reveal its new smartwatch platform on 10 September