Whether or not the two have spoken to each other is a separate issue, since Mack's contract remains the main concern among Raiders fans. The important thing is for Oakland to get a young player who has already shown promise at the National Football League level.
Could the Lions be a team that would trade for Mack?
A championship caliber defense? This will allow Mike Pettine to dial up blitzes for Mack in which he would receive more unimpeded rushing lanes to the quarterback, which would allow him to make more impact plays. This defensive approach will disrupt the timing of opposing offenses and allow the secondary to make more plays on rushed passing attempts. The reality is that it is never a fiscally responsible decision to acquire a player that will demand the salary allocation and draft capital that Mack demands. Because Mack is on the previous year of his rookie deal, it removes some of Oakland's bargaining power. These detractors will also say that they are proven correct in their philosophy to draft and develop because of the Packers recent playoff streak which lasted for eight seasons (2009-2016). "Think of going from highest possible tax rate in a state-income tax level you can have at 13.3 percent down to one of seven states in the nation that has zero percent tax".
"I don't see why not, he would be ideal", Maiocco said of Mack.
That brings us back to the Packers, who have two first-round picks next year, a need for a long-term answer at edge rusher and the future cap space to satisfy whatever Mack desires financially.
Taking off from an idea floated by Paul Gutierrez of ESPN, which said that Mack is a potential preseason trade candidate, Zach Kruse of USA TODAY made some points about how the Green Bay Packers checks the boxes of a team that can be a potential destination for the defensive end via a trade.
With that said, here are five realistic expectations for the 2018 season.
- Premier League CEO reveals his dislike for Man City's dominance
- Jose Mourinho: Man Utd boss 'not confident' of deadline day signing
- Chelsea set for record Kepa swoop as transfer deadline looms
- United's record in opening-day fixtures
- The Academy announces new changes to the Oscars, including popular film category
- Manchester United yet to bid for Toby Alderweireld
- Transfer deadline day: Manchester United 'launch shock Diego Godin bid'
- Gates says he helped Manafort hide payments
- Apple removes most of Alex Jones's podcasts from iTunes
- Argentine Senate rejects historic abortion law