Now that the Godin deal has fallen through, it looks like United won't be signing any new central defenders before this evening's 5pm deadline - a position Jose Mourinho has seen as a priority to strengthen.
Having been linked with moves for Harry Maguire, Toby Alderweireld, Jerome Boateng and Yerry Mina this summer, United suddenly began showing an interest in Chelsea's Kurt Zouma late on Wednesday night.
Godin is set to stay at Atletico Madrid, rebuffing Manchester United's advances in favour of remaining in La Liga.
With this in mind, a move for the 32-year-old Uruguayan global would make sense.
Though the Uruguay worldwide was flattered by United's interest he has opted to stay at Atletico.
Mourinho hoped to trigger Godin's release clause - believed to be around £18m - and bring him to Old Trafford on an £8m a year deal in time to play against Leicester on Friday.
Godin in action for Atletico Madrid.
Godin is the new addition to the list of center-backs Manchester United have failed to sign this season. The 32-year old will be the club's captain this season and wants to continue working with them with no intentions to leave.
"I'm not confident, I'm not confident and the market closes today so it is time at least for me to stop thinking about the market because the market will be closed".
Godin to United? Watch this space.
"I've been told in the past few minutes Godin's agent was actually the one who approached United this week, saying the player was keen to come to Old Trafford and a deal could be done".
- Syrian First Lady Asma Assad treated for breast cancer
- The wrong Tommy Fleetwood got massive British Open check
- Apple removes most of Alex Jones's podcasts from iTunes
- UK PM May urges Boris Johnson to apologise for burqa comments
- Another strong quake hits Indonesia's Lombok, witnesses say buildings have collapsed
- Everton and Manchester United Battling For Kurt Zouma, Talks Opened
- United's record in opening-day fixtures
- Study finds female doctors better for heart patients
- Grieving orca still swimming with her dead calf off Washington coast
- The Academy announces new changes to the Oscars, including popular film category