West Nile virus is transmitted from birds through bites by the Culex pipiens mosquito.
Earlier this week, the St. Louis County Department of Public Health recorded its first human case of West Nile Virus for the year, and "Today in St. Louis" set to find out the age-old question: Just what can you do to prevent further spread of mosquitos?
The Cape Cod Times reports that state Department of Health said Thursday 14 mosquito samples from Falmouth, Barnstable, Dennis, Bourne and Yarmouth tested positive for the virus after being trapped Tuesday and July 31.
The virus can cause symptoms similar to those of the flu, but in extreme cases, it can result in tremors, fever, comas and a lethal swelling of the brain tissue known as encephalitis.
People older than 50 or who have weakened immune systems are at higher risk for severe illness from the virus.
The North Shore Mosquito Abatement District handles mosquito control efforts in communities including Evanston, Glencoe, Kenilworth, Lincolnwood, Morton Grove, Skokie, Winnetka, Wilmette and portions of Glenview, Deerfield and Niles, among other towns.
"The two pools, or two trap sites that were positive, were found within the City of Kitchener, but really what it means is that conditions are right anywhere across the region", Miller said. The federal Environmental Protection Agency said residents should "empty and scrub, turn over, cover, or throw out items that hold water, such as tires, buckets, planters, toys, pools, birdbaths, flowerpots, or trash containers".
To protect yourself from the disease, experts recommend wearing insect repellent, avoid going outside between dawn and dusk which are peak mosquito feeding times, and to wear loose clothing.
The North Shore Mosquito Abatement District plans to increase mosquito control operations throughout the district, according to the news release.
- Incentive for Everton and Newcastle United to keep tabs on Danny Welbeck
- James Bond producers eyeing Idris Elba as next 007
- The Magic Leap One Creator Edition Is Now Available
- Indonesia natural disaster : Third strong quake hits tourist island of Lombok
- Facebook Adds AR Games into Messenger Video Chat
- Cam Newton Gets In Heated Altercation With Kelvin Benjamin
- Jurgen Klopp reveals how Liverpool can challenge Man City for the title
- Samsung launches new LTE-enabled Galaxy Watch, Home smart speaker
- Fortnite: Rick & Morty Fans Are Calling Out New Galaxy Skin
- Flaw in WhatsApp allows hackers to send fake messages, company responds