West Nile virus is transmitted from birds through bites by the Culex pipiens mosquito.
Earlier this week, the St. Louis County Department of Public Health recorded its first human case of West Nile Virus for the year, and "Today in St. Louis" set to find out the age-old question: Just what can you do to prevent further spread of mosquitos?
The Cape Cod Times reports that state Department of Health said Thursday 14 mosquito samples from Falmouth, Barnstable, Dennis, Bourne and Yarmouth tested positive for the virus after being trapped Tuesday and July 31.
The virus can cause symptoms similar to those of the flu, but in extreme cases, it can result in tremors, fever, comas and a lethal swelling of the brain tissue known as encephalitis.
People older than 50 or who have weakened immune systems are at higher risk for severe illness from the virus.
The North Shore Mosquito Abatement District handles mosquito control efforts in communities including Evanston, Glencoe, Kenilworth, Lincolnwood, Morton Grove, Skokie, Winnetka, Wilmette and portions of Glenview, Deerfield and Niles, among other towns.
"The two pools, or two trap sites that were positive, were found within the City of Kitchener, but really what it means is that conditions are right anywhere across the region", Miller said. The federal Environmental Protection Agency said residents should "empty and scrub, turn over, cover, or throw out items that hold water, such as tires, buckets, planters, toys, pools, birdbaths, flowerpots, or trash containers".
To protect yourself from the disease, experts recommend wearing insect repellent, avoid going outside between dawn and dusk which are peak mosquito feeding times, and to wear loose clothing.
The North Shore Mosquito Abatement District plans to increase mosquito control operations throughout the district, according to the news release.
- NSW drought: Berejiklian open to asking army to help farmers
- France uses helicopters to rescue 750 campers amid flash floods
- WikiLeaks says Senate panel seeks interview with Assange ZlotoNews
- Samsung launches new LTE-enabled Galaxy Watch, Home smart speaker
- Flaw in WhatsApp allows hackers to send fake messages, company responds
- Ryanair pilots strike in Germany and elsewhere in Europe
- Four clubs spend 40% of Premier League's £1.2bn outlay
- Jurgen Klopp reveals how Liverpool can challenge Man City for the title
- Facebook Adds AR Games into Messenger Video Chat
- José Mourinho does not expect any Manchester United deadline-day signings