No players knelt during the anthem that night.
After withstanding two seasons of backlash against players kneeling, raising fists and displaying other means of protest during the anthem, the National Football League said it would fine teams with protesting players directly, who in turn would have it in their discretion to enforce pregame anthem observations in their own ways. Eagles defensive end Chris Long had his arm around Jenkins in a show of solidarity. Miami defensive end Robert Quinn raised a fist into the air.
Eagles defensive end Michael Bennett, a frequent protestor previous year when he played for the Seattle Seahawks, walked out of the tunnel as the anthem played.
Trump in June uninvited the Eagles from visiting the White House in honor of their Super Bowl win months earlier.
The league and the players' union have yet to announce a policy for this season regarding demonstrations during the anthem after the league initially ordered everyone to stand on the sideline when "The Star-Spangled Banner" is played, or remain in the locker room.
"What NFL owners did today was thwart the players' constitutional rights to express themselves and use our platform to draw attention to social injustices like racial inequality in our country", Jenkins said in a statement in May. Individual teams would be responsible for disciplining any demonstrators.
The NFL introduced a new national anthem policy this season.
- European Tour Pay Wrong Tommy Fleetwood €133k Open Prize Money
- Melania Trump's parents given citizenship under rules their son-in-law wants to eliminate
- US Space Force: America to 'establish space dominance' by 2020
- Replace Betsy DeVos With LeBron James, Online Petition Asks
- Michael Moore Releases Trailer For Anti-Trump Film "Fahrenheit 11/9"
- Perseid Meteor Shower To Put On Brilliant Show This Weekend
- Japan Medical School Apologizes for Hurting Women’s Admissions Chances
- Mourinho doesn't envisage Yerry Mina at Manchester United
- Takht: Karan Johar Brings Together A Dream Team!
- Coaches, players still off-limits at Ohio State