"The net expenditure is a record as it stands but you'd think with three weeks left for European clubs to buy Premier League players, and Premier League clubs by the looks of it not having done their selling yet, it might not stay that way".
But after the transfer window closed on Thursday, Riyad Mahrez was the sole major arrival at the Etihad Stadium, joining for £60 million ($77m) - a new club record that surpassed the £57m ($73m) spent on Aymeric Laporte in January. Across the north-west, Manchester United have brought in Fred for £59m whilst Chelsea under new manager Maurizio Sarri have bought Jorginho for £57m from his former club Napoli.
"Raheem and Kevin arrived in a ideal way", added the City boss.
That, Pep says, will drive our rivals on this season as they bid to catch us.
"I said last season many times we can not spend every season, we spend when we should spend, we had seven or eight players aged 30 or 31 [to replace]".
Though admirable, with clubs agreeing to close the domestic window before the top-flight campaign begins on Friday, this came at a disadvantage as other leagues in Europe failed to follow suit.
"We [already] spent a lot on young, young players for the next seasons". They couldn't even sign a player from the Championship.
Writing in his column for the BBC, Shearer said: "Their team is definitely already good enough to challenge champions Manchester City for the title, but can Jose get the best out them, and can they play in a style that can keep their fans happy?"
"So today it is the goalkeepers, before it was the strikers and the number 10s, then the full-backs, now the keepers".
Just 14 per cent of that figure, £175m, was spent on transfers between two Premier League clubs - an unforeseen outcome of the league's window closing before the rest of Europe, according to Deloitte's Tim Bridge.
Yet a downbeat Mourinho has admitted he may not get the defender he listed as his top priority when he submitted his transfer wish-list last May, as he admitted he was growing exhausted of the endless speculation ahead of transfer deadline day.
- Devin Nunes Talks About Protecting Trump on Leaked Audio
- Apple Boots Alex Jones From iTunes For Hate Speech
- Abby Huntsman Expected to Join ‘The View’ at ABC
- U.S. sanctions 'categorically unacceptable,' says Putin spokesman
- Jurgen Klopp reveals how Liverpool can challenge Man City for the title
- France uses helicopters to rescue 750 campers amid flash floods
- Mayfield looks good in debut as Browns defeat Giants
- Eagles, 'Fins players protest during anthem
- Taliban storms strategic Afghan city
- Mourinho doesn't envisage Yerry Mina at Manchester United