"Of course he does, but he's got Fred with him, he's got other players as well".
Chief football writer Daniel Taylor writes: "United's conclusion was that in most cases Mourinho had targeted defenders who were no better than those they already had".
And that's when Twitter uses did a bit of digging and found Neville's tweet from six years ago, implying those who leave it late are not well-run clubs.
How Mourinho reacts from now will be dictated to some extent by results, but the key objectives at the turn of the year have all been fulfilled as far as the club are concerned.
The signing of Fred from Shakhtar Donetsk to give energy to the midfield was a long-term project, with serious negotiations starting back in February. If he joined, it's unlikely that Alexis Sanchez would've arrived in January.
The centre-back discussion has only become an issue this summer, and the club have felt that the options open to them have not warranted the investment they would have required.
Speaking of the World Cup, Paul Pogba has returned to Manchester with a winners medal and has been rewarded for that as he was named captain.
The move was created to ease disruption in the first few weeks of the campaign after a number of high-profile players, including Alexis Sanchez, Philippe Coutinho and Virgil van Dijk, missed matches at the start of last season due to transfer speculation.
"It's time just to say "tomorrow we have a Premier League match" and we have to play to win it".
In fact, the 28 goals they conceded was the second-fewest in the top flight and although United's defence leaves something to be desired, David De Gea still remains one of the best goalkeepers in the world. After a depleted squad took part in their pre-season tour of the USA, who will start tonight?
The Portuguese went some way to countering suggestions he is unhappy with his squad at his pre-match press conference.
So how would Man United line up if Mourinho had landed the players he desired? "I like to work with my players". "We have a very good squad, with very good players and it is very hard to add players to that", he said. "It is a lie, repeated 1,000 times".
- Perseids 2018: Where and how to watch the dazzling meteor shower
- Kylie Jenner celebrates 21st birthday with star-studded Hollywood bash
- Incentive for Everton and Newcastle United to keep tabs on Danny Welbeck
- Want To Be A Dad? Wear Boxers, Not Skin Tight Briefs
- Bitcoin & Ripple Technical Analysis - Charts Point to Further Losses
- James Bond producers eyeing Idris Elba as next 007
- The Magic Leap One Creator Edition Is Now Available
- Four clubs spend 40% of Premier League's £1.2bn outlay
- CDC: 4 cases of West Nile virus in Minnesota
- Kurt Zouma Staying Put In London As Everton Look To Seal Loan