The Browns might not be counting on too much from Mayfield early on as veteran Tyrod Taylor is Cleveland's starter, but NY expects a huge boost for its offense from the Penn State running back.
Saquon Barkley knows how to deliver. Then he bounced it outside and gained the edge on flat-footed Browns CB Damarious Randall.
Perhaps a sign of the changing times in Cleveland, top pick Baker Mayfield was the Browns' second competent quarterback of the evening, following starter Tyrod Taylor.
Mayfield finished the night 11-of-20 passing for 212 yards and two touchdowns.
Taylor and Landry are the faces of an influx of talent this offseason following the franchise's first winless season.
Mayfield was up next and, following a three-and-out, settled in on his second series, finding Rashard Higgins with a pretty back-shoulder throw on the sideline for a 26-yard gain.
Barkley's run led to an Aldrick Rosas 42-yard field goal, the only points produced by the starting offense in two series. With a 100% completion rating during his short playing time, Taylor threw for 99 yards and hit tight end David Njoku for a touchdown to put the Browns up 7-3.
It was all so familiar for Sooners fans and novel for Clevelanders.
The Browns let Mayfield play into the fourth quarter after he entered in the second. But this is a different year with a lot of different players.
QB controversy in Cleveland?
While Mayfield is expected to sit most of his first season in the National Football League in favor of the veteran Taylor, it's a relief for Browns fans to see him playing this well, this early.
It's only one preseason game, but there were plenty of reasons to be hopeful.
- Replace Betsy DeVos With LeBron James, Online Petition Asks
- Milinkovic-Savic focused on Lazio as transfer talk continues
- PS4 Pro is getting a 500 Million Limited Edition release
- PGA Championship: Davis Love III to make 100th major appearance
- Melania Trump's parents given citizenship under rules their son-in-law wants to eliminate
- Children among dozens killed in Yemen air strike
- Hamas threatens Israel after two fighters killed
- Michael Moore Releases Trailer For Anti-Trump Film "Fahrenheit 11/9"
- A popular film category is coming to the Oscars
- Vidal excited to play with Messi after 'dream' Barcelona move