First lady Melania Trump's parents were sworn in as US citizens in New York City on Thursday.
Viktor and Amalija Knavs, 73 and 71 years old, respectively, are retired, and they maintain regular contact with the Trump family, often traveling with the first family on trips to Mar-a-Lago and Bedminster, New Jersey.
Their attorney, Michael Wildes, called the couple "beautiful people" and took a moment to draw attention to the process of legal immigration. They had no comment at the time, but the building where they were spotted holds offices where federal immigration officials process applications for citizenship.
Under US immigration law, Melania's parents would need to have had green cards for at least five years before they could apply for citizenship.
It is unclear when the Knavses moved to the USA, but Viktor Knavs was recorded as living at Mar-a-Lago by late 2007, according to The Washington Post.
First lady Melania Trump's parents officially became USA citizens on Thursday.
The Knavses raised Mrs Trump in the rural industrial town of Sevnica while Slovenia was under Communist rule.
"This golden experiment, these doors that are in America, remain hinged open to attractive people as they have today", Wildes said. Viktor and Amalija are reportedly "hyperinvolved" in Barron Trump's life, and attend events at the White House regularly.
A source familiar with the situation told Yahoo News that the Knavses received their green cards before Trump was elected and that they were sponsored by their daughter.
Although Melania started from humble roots, she launched a successful modeling career prior to her marriage to the president.
- Perseid Meteor Shower To Put On Brilliant Show This Weekend
- World at risk of heading towards irreversible 'hothouse' state
- A popular film category is coming to the Oscars
- Saudi Arabian Airlines Suspending Flights To and From Canada
- Hamas threatens Israel after two fighters killed
- West Virginia to Offer Blockchain Voting Options for Midterms
- US Space Force: America to 'establish space dominance' by 2020
- Ikea India launches with Hyderabad megastore
- The Roku Channel Is Now Free on the Web
- PS4 Pro is getting a 500 Million Limited Edition release