The team has World Cup victor Paul Pogba leading the midfield, and Belgium star Romelu Lukaku manning the attack with Alexis Sanchez. By United's calculations he had simply missed too much football through injury over the last three years - playing no more than 19 league games in each season.
Although they are in the market for a centre-back, the Red Devils now appear to have withdrawn from the race.
Leicester have finally cashed in on Riyad Mahrez but they've shown characteristic resolve to rebuff United's interest in Harry Maguire.
It also now looks like long-standing target Toby Alderweireld will be staying at Tottenham.
Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino has been one of the more outspoken critics of the shortened window with time running out for Spurs to make a single signing this summer.
The signing of Fred from Shakhtar Donetsk to give energy to the midfield was a long-term project, with serious negotiations starting back in February.
"But it's the same conversation as with (Ashley) Young, (Marouane) Fellaini, (Jesse) Lingard, it's the same".
"When I listen, when I read - not much but sometimes I do - it is hard to believe that we finished second", Jose said, "because you are capable of making people that finish second look like they were relegated, and people who win nothing and finish below us look like serial winners".
Boateng trained with Bayern Munich on Thursday, with Paris Saint-Germain now touted as the front-runners for his signature - a deal that can, of course, be done later in the month after the Premier League bows out of the market as a buying power.
"No miracles", he told a press conference (via United's official website). "I like to work with my players".
"A lie repeated 1,000 times is still a lie, but the perception of people is that it's true".
"It is hard to understand for people in football that Tottenham didn't sign or didn't sell players but sometimes in football, you need to behave different".
- Kawhi Leonard pens thank you letter to San Antonio Spurs
- Japan Medical School Apologizes for Hurting Women’s Admissions Chances
- Brad Pitt says he has given Angelina Jolie millions since split
- Barcelona duo Yerry Mina and Andre Gomes join Everton
- Replace Betsy DeVos With LeBron James, Online Petition Asks
- U.S. sanctions 'categorically unacceptable,' says Putin spokesman
- Korea slams USA officials for sanctions
- Abby Huntsman Expected to Join ‘The View’ at ABC
- Michael Moore Releases Trailer For Anti-Trump Film "Fahrenheit 11/9"
- Wake Forest assistant coach faces assault charges in man's death