"It was traumatizing", Elizabeth Eden tells WBAL of the saga that began when her doctor alerted her to the result of her drug test while she was in labor. I was sitting in the bed.
She was reported to the state and her newborn daughter was kept at the hospital for five days which she was monitored.
In a shocking incident, tested positive for opiates because she ate poppy seeds bagel in breakfast.
Eden told the hospital employees she'd consumed the poppy seed bagel that morning, but they reportedly refused to retest and instead reported her name to state authorities.
That meant Eden's daughter, born April 4, was held at St. Joseph Medical Center in Towson for five days and a case worker had to visit her home.
Eden said she had learned in a school health class that eating poppy seeds could cause a false positive.
Despite expressing her disbelief over the results and requesting that she be tested again, the doctor then revealed that she had been reported to the state.
Poppy seeds come from the papaver somniferum flowering plant, which is also known as the opium poppy.
A positive test at St. Joseph Medical Center is registered at 300 nanograms per millimeter.
"Morphine and codeine can sometimes be detected in the urine up to 48 hours after ingestion of poppy seeds from some pastries, such as bagels, muffins, and cakes", the USDA added.
And once she explained that, the case was closed. The seeds contain trace amounts of opiates and can cause a false positive. "Because the International Olympic Committee set a cutoff limit for morphine at 1 µg/mL, high-performance athletes could possibly test positive in doping control after consumption of products containing poppy seeds", a 2003 report in Oxford Academic concluded.
- Incentive for Everton and Newcastle United to keep tabs on Danny Welbeck
- Djokovic stunned by Greek teen Tsitsipas in Toronto
- Manchester United target Yerry Mina undergoes Everton medical in Barcelona
- Sports Direct strikes £90m House of Fraser rescue deal
- Kylie Jenner celebrates 21st birthday with star-studded Hollywood bash
- Jan Ullrich arrested after allegedly attacking escort in Frankfurt hotel
- Premier League interest ratings: This weekend's fixtures ranked
- Kanye West laughs off Trump being 'a player' on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!'
- Nascar CEO Brian France takes leave of absence after DUI arrest
- Want To Be A Dad? Wear Boxers, Not Skin Tight Briefs