The next big meteor shower, the Geminids, will be visible in mid-December.
Meteor showers are nearly always linked to comets, which are giant balls of ice, rock, space dust, and gasses orbiting the sun.
The peak of the Perseid meteor show happens Sunday, Aug. 12, the U.S. National Weather Service said.
The Perseids is a prolific shower of fiery space particles that has streaked over our planet annually for generations as Earth encounters debris falling off the Swift-Tuttle comet, which was first discovered back in 1862. It takes 133 years to ellipse the Sun and this is the first year it has passed into the inner solar system since 1991.
Because the meteor shower's peak arrived just after the new moon on Saturday (Aug. 11), the dark "moonless" sky provided excellent conditions for spotting meteors in the night sky.Читайте также: UK unemployment reaches 40-year low
With a nucleus that is 26 km in diameter, Comet Swift-Tuttle contains almost 30 times the kinetic energy of the asteroid strike that wiped out the dinosaurs.
You don't need any specialist equipment to view the shower as long as the night sky is clear.
Sometimes you get clouds, or too much light pollution, or you're an hour late to see the celestial event.
Think your friends would be interested?При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2019 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.
Код для вставки в блог
- Canopy Growth marijuana stock surges after new Constellation stake
- Vaping damages vital immune system cells
- Turkish lira trades below 6.0 against the dollar
- Turkish lira stages rally after crackdown on short-selling
- ‘Queen of Soul’ Aretha Franklin Dies at the Age of 76
- FIFA Ranking: Super Eagles drops to 41st position
- Gunmen attack intelligence training centre in Kabul
- Corey Coleman Acted Like a Complete Baby Before Being Traded By Browns
- Disney stands firm on not rehiring James Gunn
- China printing currencies for several countries including Sri Lanka