Lots of countries had been the target of similar USA trade measures, he said, and Turkey would navigate this period with other parties such as Germany, Russia and China. Last week, the US also announced plans to double tariffs on Turkish steel and aluminum. The lira lost almost 40 percent against the dollar this year and suffered a staggering collapse on the heels of Trump's announcement of increased tariffs on metals.
The weakness of the Turkish currency has rippled through global markets.
The currency picked up 6 percent and strengthened briefly at just under 6 to the dollar.
He also said the government expected a more modest growth from the Turkish economy, which expanded 7.4 percent in 2017. While many in the country believe the crisis is the fault of the USA, even though experts have been warning of danger signs in the economy for months, Williams says some Turks do blame authoritarian President Erdogan for the crisis.
"No one has an interest in the economic destabilization of Turkey", Merkel said in Berlin this week.
Facing Turkey's gravest currency crisis since 2001 in his first month in the job, Albayrak has the daunting task of reassuring the investors that the economy is not hostage to political interference.
Turkey will continue talks with the United States if it shows a constructive stance to resolve the diplomatic row, Ibrahim Kalin said, adding that no discussions were planned.
If Brunson is not released, the next escalatory measure by the U.S. would most likely be targeted sanctions on businesspeople with close ties to President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.
Earlier in the day, the currency had shrugged off USA comments ruling out the removal of steel tariffs on Turkey even if it frees an American pastor who lies at the center of the complex feud between Washington and Ankara.
The court in the western city of Izmir rejected the appeal and ruled that Brunson will remain under house arrest, the state television TRT reported. Brunson's lawyer told Reuters that the appeal could be heard sooner that the usual three to seven days.
- Tony Adams lays into Unai Emery after Arsenal defeat to Man City
- Motorola’s new mid-range P30 phone looks almost identical to the Huawei P20
- China, US to hold trade talks in late August
- Bitcoin's Price Falls Below $6K to Near 2018 Low
- UK unemployment reaches 40-year low
- Vaping damages vital immune system cells
- Legendary singer Aretha Franklin has died
- India to send manned mission to space by 2022: Modi
- Best images from this year's Perseid meteor shower
- Trump connects Russian Federation probe to revoking Brennan’s clearance