Mourinho had also claimed that Diego Godin's agent was using Manchester United to force Atletico Madrid for a new, better deal.
Atletico Madrid defender Diego Godin said he is proud to take over as the club's captain after having turned down interest from other clubs.
Ahead of the UEFA season curtain-raiser in Tallinn, Estonia, Godin will replace midfielder Gabi Fernandez, who joined Al-Sadd, as Atletico's captain, with Antoine Griezmann becoming one of the team's vice-captains.
Manchester United desperately searched for a new centre back this summer transfer window, but for various reasons came up empty in the end.
That approach was quickly rebuffed by the Europa League champions, with reports suggesting that the Uruguayan was about to sign a new deal at the Wanda Metropolitano.
"I've not renewed my contract".
When asked about why he didn't join Manchester United, Diego Godin said, " I have had offers, although I have chose to stay for personal reasons and I am only thinking about the final".
However, while the Uruguayan worldwide has confirm he rejected an offer from Old Trafford due to personal reasons, Godin has denied he has signed a new extension with Atletico. We are preparing well, with new teammates who will improve the team and make us stronger. "We are very optimistic".
- Jordan McNair's dad: Maryland should fire suspended coach
- Real Madrid want Chelsea star Marcos Alonso
- Saudi offers $100 million to US-backed Syria drive
- Deven Davis, wife of Korn frontman Jonathan Davis, dead at 39
- 'Grand Theft Auto Online' cheat seller stopped by federal judge
- Kohli, Rahane play out wicketless session
- New Man City documentary reveals the players' conversation after Man Utd defeat
- Serena Williams blames thrashing on release of half-sister's killer
- All You Need to Know About Priyanka Chopra's $200,000 Ring
- Shanann Watts planning gender reveal party before her alleged murder