He added that availability might be limited depending on popularity. If there's a silver lining, it's that MoviePass is posting a schedule of available films that are available on the MoviePass website at least a week in advance, so you can plan ahead and figure out when the movie you actually want to see is going to be offered.
"For the time being, we will be limiting the films and showtimes that are available to members each day", MoviePass said in an email to subscribers. Previously, MoviePass offered a movie every day.
The changes are in an effort to cut costs after it was revealed Tuesday the movie service's parent company Helios and Matheson Analytics Inc., suffered a $104million gross loss and a drop of $132.47 per share. Thursday's selection included high-profile releases like "BlacKKKlansman" and "The Meg", but it did not have the hotly-anticipated film, "Crazy Rich Asians", which debuted Wednesday.
MoviePass indicated that the current plan will be in place for the foreseeable future and that the list of movies and available screenings will be updated from week to week.
Though the romantic comedy premieres Friday, it will not be available for MoviePass subscribers until Sunday.
In another sign of distress at the company, this week multiple MoviePass users who tried to cancel their service discovered that the company had re-enrolled them in the new monthly plan, according to various reports.
Though the company says it's not raising monthly prices to $15, there is still a hidden price increase. The new plan, the company said, limited customers to just three movies a month, with additional tickets discounted up to $5 each. Now, it will be $10.
It's unclear just how long this transition period will take, and thus how long the six movies per day choice will be in effect.
United States movie ticket sales are up eight per cent so far this year, according to comScore.
But that success has proven costly.
Most theaters require MoviePass customers to order their tickets in person.
- Pakistan ban batsman Jamshed for 10 years over spot-fixing
- China 'likely training for strikes' on U.S. targets
- Ranking the Wyndham Championship field: Webb chased by playoff hopefuls
- Here's the Unusual Gift Madonna Wants for Her 60th Birthday
- ‘Star Wars: Resistance’: Trailer & Premiere Date For Disney Channel Toon Series
- Substance in dug up Egyptian jar 'most ancient' cheese
- Google CEO tells staff China censored search app plans are ‘exploratory’
- Aretha Franklin's funeral will be four-day event in Detroit
- Zinedine Zidane has eyes set on managing Manchester United
- More US sanctions for Turkey if they don't obey