But in the months that followed her revelations about Weinstein last October, Argento quietly arranged to pay $380,000 to her own accuser: Jimmy Bennett, a young actor and rock musician who said she had sexually assaulted him in a California hotel room years earlier, when he was only two months past his 17th birthday.
For Mr. Bennett, seeing Ms. Argento present herself as a victim of sexual assault was too much to bear, his lawyer wrote, and called up memories of their hotel reunion.
The Times said it had obtained a selfie of Argento and Bennett lying in bed together, apparently taken in May 2013.
The pair met in 2004 when Argento cast Bennett, then just 7, to play her son in "The Heart Is Deceitful Above All Things". The age of consent in California, where the alleged assault took place, is 18. Argento also declined to comment on the Times' report prior to its publishing.
Neither Argento nor her lawyers responded to The Times' requests for comment.
A letter to Argento from Goldberg said that the money was to help Bennett. "We are not going to allow you to get away with it".
Argento had admitted in a New Yorker piece, as relayed by writer Ronan Farrow, that she had "consensual sexual relations with [Weinstein] multiple times over the course of the next five years" following the alleged assault, but that they were "one-sided and 'onanistic.'" According to Farrow's piece, she felt Weinstein would "ruin her career if she didn't comply". "You are a powerful and inspiring creator and it is a miserable condition of life that you live among shitty individuals who've preyed on both your strengths and your weaknesses".
A new Times report details the allegations leveled against Argento - who dated Anthony Bourdain before his death - by former child actor Jimmy Bennett.
In the documents, Bennett claims that on May 9, 2013, Argento served him an alcoholic drink at a room in the Marina Del Rey Ritz-Carlton and subsequently performed oral sex on him.
- Braun Strowman Announces Cash in at SummerSlam
- Don Cheadle Explains That Time Mark Ruffalo Spoiled Infinity War's Ending
- Winona Ryder thinks she's been married to Keanu Reeves for 25 years
- Steve Hansen warns All Blacks after Bledisloe Cup win
- Inflation report helps boost Canadian dollar
- Unexpected Future Boost of Methane Possible From Arctic Permafrost
- Gunman who killed five at Florida airport to get life in prison
- Man released after two die in Donegal road crash
- Deputy saves toddler from a hot auto in Florida
- Indycar driver airlifted to hospital following Pocono crash