The 25-year-old has scored three goals in three Premier League games for Manchester United so far this season and he netted both strikes in the 2-0 win at Burnley before the worldwide break. Chelsea midfielder Ruben Loftus-Cheek, another starter against Swtizerland, kept his place in the England squad despite not starting any of the Blues' opening four league games this season.
Carragher draws comparisons to Romelu Lukaku's time at the club and how key his time at Goodison Park was to his development after leaving Chelsea.
Southgate is confident that Rashford's spell away with England will have raised his morale, as he also netted in the 2-1 Nations League defeat against Spain on Saturday.
"I understand the difficulties that club managers have". But if we are in a similar situation next month - three weeks into the season is one thing, but seven weeks and they have not played?
Marcus Rashford has been advised by another Premier League legend that he needs to leave Manchester United in order to develop into a "world-class" striker. He's got huge competition for places at his club, so you can understand that (frustration). "He's a huge admirer of him, but he's got his job to do", Southgate maintained.
Three Lions striker Marcus Rashford seems to have hit some form in the past week, finding the back of the net against Spain and Switzerland and taking his global goals tally to five. "It's not my business to interfere with club managers".
"We have to remember that Harry, at that age, had hardly played anywhere near the same number of matches for Spurs", said Southgate.
"They have a hard job to do and they have big squads at the top six, with huge competition for places".
"His confidence will be boosted I'm sure, two goals against top-quality opposition in both games".
- Apple's colorful new iPhone XR could trigger a long-awaited upgrade cycle (AAPL)
- Westbrook could miss season opener after knee surgery
- Powerful hurricane ‘Florence’ could bring catastrophic flooding, rain here still days away
- San Juan Mayor: 'God Bless' Potential Hurricane Florence Victims
- Prince William launches mental health website
- Weinstein Accuser Releases Video In Which She Was Reportedly Groped
- Apple iPhone XS, XS Max and XR announcement coverage wrap-up
- Alex Jones' Infowars app removed from Apple's App Store for hateful content
- Overmars: Barcelona can try but De Jong not leaving in January
- Hurricane Florence Evacuations Expand, With 'Disaster At Doorstep'