A teenager was killed and four civilians were wounded in three separate explosions on Tuesday near two schools for girls in Afghan province of Nangarhar, officials said.
At least 68 people have been killed in the suicide attack against the protesters that occurred on Tuesday in eastern Afghanistan, the second deadliest since the beginning of the year in a country that is sinking ever more into violence.
He said the protestors asked for dismissal of Bilal Pacha, a commander of local police force members in Achin district, an area close to Mohmad Dara district.
There has been no claim of responsibility for the massacre, but the Islamic State group, which has carried out most of the recent suicide bombings in Afghanistan, is active in the province.
People are seen at site after a suicide blast ripped through a crowd of protesters in Nanganhar province of Afghanistan on September 11, 2018.
The Taliban denied any involvement.
A number of dead bodies were directly taken to their homes by relatives and, therefore, not counted in Tuesday's figures, the official added.
The death toll from Tuesday's blast soared overnight.
Nangarhar, one of the main strongholds of Daesh terror group since early 2015, has been one of the most volatile regions this year, with a string of suicide bombings and attacks on its capital, Jalalabad.
Also in Nangarhar, at least one person was killed and four others wounded in a series of additional bomb blasts near different schools, said Khogyani.
32-died a few hours after the attack, the macabre balance sheet has more than doubled Wednesday.
The first explosion happened in front of Malika Omaira girls' school in Jalalabad, the capital of Nangarhar province, at around 8:30 am (0400 GMT), provincial governor spokesman Ataullah Khogyani told AFP.
- Airlines begin canceling flights at RDU as Hurricane Florence nears the Carolinas
- Here's all the big news from today's Nintendo Direct
- Spurs duo Lloris, Alli to miss Liverpool, Inter clashes
- Apple's greatest magic trick: A $749 iPhone is now "cheap"
- Missy Elliott Surprises Her "Funky White Sister" on Ellen
- States Prepare for ‘Storm of a Lifetime’ as Hurricane Florence Looms
- Hurricane Florence bears down on Carolinas
- Beats' Colorful New Buds Are Perfect For Your iPhone XR
- Arsenal manager Unai Emery preparing for 'difficult' Newcastle United test
- Russian Federation bombers off Alaska intercepted by USA fighter jets