If an individual is exposed to the virus in this time, they may develop the flu, despite having been vaccinated against it. True enough, there were over 30,000 laboratory confirmed influenza-related hospitalization from October 1, 2017 through April 28, 2018, and reported 180 pediatric deaths as of August 25, 2018. Around 180 children have lost their lives from the recent period of flu. While vaccine effectiveness can vary, studies show that flu vaccination reduces the risk of flu illness by between 40% and 60% during seasons when most circulating flu viruses are well-matched to the flu vaccine. With the memory of last year's deadly flu season still fresh in everyone's memory, the CDC is already urging people to plan their vaccinations.
The CDC said on its website that Influenza has the potential to be a very serious disease, which can lead people to get hospitalized and also sometimes result in death. It adds that millions are affected with this infection that kills thousands every year.
Each year, on average, 5 percent to 20 percent of the USA population gets the flu, tens of thousands are hospitalized and thousands die from flu-related illness.
"It's like the virus wears a coat and it can change, just like we have more than one coat", said the world-renowned vaccine expert, now in Baltimore, Md.
The campaign will be one of the first to roll out under the newly launched "Help Us Help You" brand. Every year the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has to choose the strain of the flu virus that would be put into the flu shot.
Myth #2 - The flu shot can give you the flu.
According to the CDC recommendations seniors or the elderly are to be given high doses of the vaccine. She says some target groups should bet the vaccination... But no matter how often people are reminded to get the vaccine, and how often healthcare professionals tell patients compelling reasons to get vaccinated, flu shots are always a hard sell. This year the spray form of the vaccine is made available again after two years.
As CNBC reports, the CDC has some very important statistics for anyone thinking of skipping the flu shot.
Older adults are also more likely to suffer complications from flu. The difference in effectiveness varied by strain with the greatest dissimilarity in the A (H3N2) and B (Victoria) strains.
To change this makers AstraZeneca have reformulated the H1N1 portion of the FluMist to improve its efficacy. Dr. Wendy Sue Swanson, a spokeswoman for the AAP and a pediatrician at Seattle Children's Hospital, says that the organization is still not taking chances and all children must still get the shots with spray kept in reserve for special cases only.
- Meet Apple’s iPhone Xs, Xs Max, Xr: Specs, Price, Release Date Announced
- Hurricane Florence: Residents urged to rush as ‘unprecedented disaster’ looms
- Federation Internationale de Football Association 19 and PES 2019's top five rated players compared
- Hurricane Florence Poised to Hit, Sit on US East Coast
- Oil Prices Climb Ahead of US Sanctions on Iran
- Mark Carney agrees to stay at Bank of England until January 2020
- Fraudsters force people to evacuate as Hurricane Florence approaches
- Canada trade deal 'eminently possible,' Freeland says
- The Last Remnant Remastered coming to Playstation 4 this December
- Aung San Suu Kyi: Jailing Journalists For Reporting Truth Is Justified