De Bruyne, once of Chelsea, is considered one of the world's elite midfielders and signed a six-year deal at City in January.
"I remember what Messi told me", Guardiola told Universo Valdano.
"[Leeds United boss] Marcelo Bielsa told me he was his favourite player".
City are without the Belgium global due to a knee injury that is set to rule De Bruyne out of action until November.
"My last steps [coaching wise] will be with Barcelona at La Masia".
Pep Guardiola insists Manchester City midfielder Kevin De Bruyne is not for sale, describing the injured star as an "incredible boy". "I could have had a long summer where I felt sorry for myself, but I love it too much, I love challenges".
Manchester City head coach Pep Guardiola has made a surprising claim about his future after recently stating he'd never return to FC Barcelona.
The 47-year-old was also asked about the possibility of taking charge of Argentina.
The recent statement comes as a surprise given his earlier sentiments this year stating he'd never return to the Blaugrana first-team. "I'm not saying I'm brilliant or saying I'm flawless", he added.
"In my opinion I think loans are for younger players trying to improve, who have got the whole world in front of them". "I'm well protected, I don't feel judged".
- Rock slide in Zakynthos, one woman injured, three feared missing
- 9-year-old Aussie girl faces politicians ire over anthem protest
- Pope receives US Church leaders to discuss clerical sex abuse crisis
- Give Rashford time to shine, insists Southgate
- US weighs sanctions amid concern over China's Muslim crackdown
- USA threatens ban to fight teenage vaping epidemic
- Hurricane Florence: Georgia Governor declares state of EMERGENCY for all 159 counties
- It’s a Final Fantasy Party, and Every Buddy is Invited
- Hurricane Florence from space
- Bengals top the Ravens in TNF