De Bruyne, once of Chelsea, is considered one of the world's elite midfielders and signed a six-year deal at City in January.
"I remember what Messi told me", Guardiola told Universo Valdano.
"[Leeds United boss] Marcelo Bielsa told me he was his favourite player".
City are without the Belgium global due to a knee injury that is set to rule De Bruyne out of action until November.
"My last steps [coaching wise] will be with Barcelona at La Masia".
Pep Guardiola insists Manchester City midfielder Kevin De Bruyne is not for sale, describing the injured star as an "incredible boy". "I could have had a long summer where I felt sorry for myself, but I love it too much, I love challenges".
Manchester City head coach Pep Guardiola has made a surprising claim about his future after recently stating he'd never return to FC Barcelona.
The 47-year-old was also asked about the possibility of taking charge of Argentina.
The recent statement comes as a surprise given his earlier sentiments this year stating he'd never return to the Blaugrana first-team. "I'm not saying I'm brilliant or saying I'm flawless", he added.
"In my opinion I think loans are for younger players trying to improve, who have got the whole world in front of them". "I'm well protected, I don't feel judged".
- USA threatens ban to fight teenage vaping epidemic
- Gronk on Ramsey's comments: Talking trash 'not my focus'
- USA to take longer to review Sprint merger with T
- It’s a Final Fantasy Party, and Every Buddy is Invited
- Turkish lira surges against USA dollar
- Bengals top the Ravens in TNF
- Whole fat milk, yoghurt cause fewer heart diseases
- Flight carrying Kulsoom Nawazs body departs for Pakistan
- EU President says Brexit threatens North, not EU
- Celtics release statement addressing Jabari Bird arrest