However, the 31-year-old has been a permanent fixture of Sarri's starting XI so far, helping the Blues to a 100% beginning to the campaign.
His free-flowing attacking style helping to appease the fans who have so far seen nothing less than a ideal start in the Premier League - taking four wins from four games prior to the worldwide break. The Blues beat Huddersfield Town, Arsenal, Newcastle United, and Bournemouth to take second position in the standings, behind Liverpool.
Below are three coaches in the Premier League who have the prospects of being kicked out of their respective clubs before the end of this season.
Maybe the most pleasing aspect of his short reign though is hanging on to star man Eden Hazard after constant speculation over a move to Real Madrid.
The Belgium global was though swiftly replaced by Kepa, who signed for a world-record £71.6m fee for a goalkeeper from Athletic Bilbao.
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com had earlier reported that Chelsea manager Maurizio Sarri has waxed lyrical over David Luiz - insisting the Brazilian has a "big future" at Stamford Bridge.
While dethroning champions Manchester City might be a tough ask, Makelele - a two-time Premier League victor with the Blues - is expecting big things from Sarri.
ESPN's Ian Darke believes that this new found style of play could potentially translate into a surprise push for this year's Premier League.
The Chilean coach was brought in based on his experience in England with Manchester City, with whom he also bagged the 2013-14 Premier League title.
"These kinds of players give a different story about Chelsea than the way we knew Chelsea before".
"Always I say that I want to stay at Chelsea as long as possible, and I am happy to stay here".
"Look at the Champions League in 2012".
- Richarlison scores twice on full Brazil debut
- USA mulls ban on flavored e-cigarettes amid youth 'epidemic'
- Hungary’s leader rejects criticism in European Union parliament debate
- Hurricane Florence: Over 188,000 without power as monster storm batters Carolinas
- Jurgen Klopp laughs off Gary Neville's comments about Liverpool
- Bengals top the Ravens in TNF
- Stunning Weather Channel Video Shows Why Storm Surges Are So Dangerous
- Meghan Markle's half-sister calls American royal a 'Ducha--' in slamming tweet
- Creative protection or ‘link tax’? European Union votes for controversial internet copyright law
- The Weather Channel Goes All In With Apocalyptic Hurricane Florence Graphics