Mr Carney told MPs last week that he was willing to continue in the job past his planned departure date in June 2019, confirming press reports, but he gave no details.
Bradley Fried, chair of the Bank's Court of Directors, welcomed their decisions to stay on: "Continuity in the outstanding leadership they provide will help the Bank succeed in our crucial work".
These are turbulent times and the Governor of the Bank of England is going to extend his period in the role before stepping down.
Britain's Treasury Chief Philip Hammond approves of Governor Carney's performance and is hoping that the central bank will be able to support a smooth exit from the European Union for Britain.
Carney was previously set to leave his role in June 2019 but has been persuaded to stay on by Chancellor Philip Hammond.
"I think a governor who is leaving at the end of June with his bags already packed would be in a poor situation to represent the U.K.in what might be some critical and time-critical negotiations over that period, trying to find practical solutions to situations that might arise", Hammond said.
Sir Jon Cunliffe, Deputy Governor of the Bank of England with responsibility for financial stability has also been re-appointed, effective from 1 November.
The governor and Prime Minister have clashed in the past with May commenting in 2016 on how there would be "bad side effects" for Carney's monetary policy and Carney taking a negative view on the future of Brexit. He was seen as a key source of financial stability in the political power vacuum that followed the Brexit vote, but also drew the ire of pro-Brexit lawmakers who believe he waded too far into the political debate.
- Aung San Suu Kyi: Jailing Journalists For Reporting Truth Is Justified
- Meet Apple’s iPhone Xs, Xs Max, Xr: Specs, Price, Release Date Announced
- Overmars: Barcelona can try but De Jong not leaving in January
- Apple iPhone XS, XS Max and XR announcement coverage wrap-up
- Westbrook could miss season opener after knee surgery
- West Virginia Bishop Resigns, Pope Orders Probe of Harassment Claims
- Turkey bans use of foreign currency in property market
- Bob Woodward opens up to Dana Perino in exclusive Fox News interview
- The Last Remnant Remastered coming to Playstation 4 this December
- Ericsson has bagged $3.5 billion 5G network contract from this company