A member of the leader's parliamentary bloc, however, said Friday that if al-Abadi gets a majority in the legislature he will form the new Cabinet.
Meanwhile, Abadi expressed his respect for "the directives of the Supreme Religious Marjiyah", the Shiite religious authority headed by the spiritual Shiite cleric Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani.
After meeting last Monday for the first time since May's election, parliament has put off its next meeting until September 15, having failed on Monday to elect a speaker, which ought to have been the first step in forming a new government.
"I renew the call for the political blocs in the parliament to accelerate the nomination of the speaker of the house, then the presidency of the republic", Abadi said. The legislator spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to brief media.
Iraqi Prime Minister Haider Al Abadi looks increasingly unlikely to secure a second term as former allies and leading figures blame him for the fallout from violent protests in Basra. "I did not and will not request the post of prime minister in the second term", he said at a news conference in Baghdad on Thursday.
Oil-rich Basra and other cities in Iraq's southern Shia heartland have been protesting since July over endemic corruption, soaring joblessness and poor public services.
Political analyst Ihsan al-Ashaari said al-Abadi's statement does not mean that the outgoing prime minister is no longer trying to hang on to the post.
Mr Sadr's election list came in first in the polls, winning 54 seats in the 329-seat legislative body, while Mr Abadi's list came in third, with 42 seats.
"The negotiations are still ongoing", al-Ashaari said.
- Warning over needles in strawberries
- Predicted Chelsea Line Up vs Cardiff City
- Mass evacuations ordered as Hurricane Florence heads toward Carolinas
- More than 400k evacuate SC as Florence approaches
- Hurricane Florence: 1000mm of rain forecast for North, South Carolina
- A $100,000 reward offered catch the strawberry needle saboteur
- Leaving Egg Out Of Flu Vaccines Could Offer Better Protection
- Volkswagen to discontinue Beetle, Final Edition set for 2019
- Cancer will destroy almost 10 million of us this yr, file estimates
- Canelo Alvarez Training For 1st Round KO In Gennady Golovkin Rematch