Pochettino said it was a matter of respecting all opposition, all the time.
The Belgian defender looked set for Manchester United after he failed to agree a new contract.
Forward Heung-min Son is available, but unlikely to play a big part after participating in the Asian Games, immediately followed by this worldwide break. Danny Rose lost his place in the side after giving an unauthorised interview with the Sun, while Andros Townsend was dropped and then sold to Newcastle after falling out with one of Spurs' fitness coaches.
World Cup Golden Boot victor Harry Kane was virtually already walking to the penalty spot, ready to rifle the ball into the back of the net - but it wasn't to be, and Spurs slumped to consecutive defeats in the Premier League. We know Harry Kane well and have worked with him the last more than four years - and we know this is not a situation that worries us.
"We all knew after the World Cup, especially when England went so far in the tournament, they had no rest". I have no doubt that he is one of the best players in England and in Europe.
The Argentinian said: "He needs to provide the team with his best, but maybe in the circumstances we are like a team, or when he plays with England it's maybe not the best conditions".
"We are in a situation that is under control". "But I don't want to talk and praise his quality too much because if so his head [grows big]".
"That's why the expectations and perspective are completely different to another player".
- NASA releases footage showing massive Hurricane Florence from space
- Florence, a Smelly Wet Unwanted Visitor, Besieges Carolinas
- Iraqi outgoing PM vows not to cling to power
- Did Google Hack the 2016 Election
- Manchester City announce £500m club-record revenues close on United
- Roberto Firmino: Liverpool striker 'OK' after eye 'scare'
- Firefighters pray at scene where mom, baby killed during Florence
- GM recalls over 1 million trucks and SUVs in the US
- National Wireless Emergency Alert System Set to Test Sept. 20
- IPhone Xs and iPhone Xs Max available to pre-order from today