On Wednesday the Boston Bruins traded Adam McQuaid to the New York Rangers in exchange for defenseman Steven Kampfer, a 2019 fourth-round draft pick and a 2019 conditional seventh-round draft pick. He is a right-handed defenseman, which most clubs covet and need, with a Stanley Cup ring and a rep as a great teammate and character guy who will do anything to win.
Though he was originally drafted by the Columbus Blue Jackets in 2005, McQuaid was sent shipped out to Boston.
Goalie Tuukka Rask, another of the few remaining Cup winners (Marchand, captain Zdeno Chara, and centers Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci are the others), said the work won't seem the same at first without McQuaid protecting him. "We want to thank Adam. It's debatable how much he was going to play this year, but Bruins lose a tough, tough hombre and a great teammate".
Head coach Bruce Cassidy continued in the line of praise for the bruiser.
"It's tough to see him go". Today was a tough morning.
Now, the Bruins have seven NHL-ready and proven defenseman. Though there is still competition, it's now been toned down a notch with McQuaid's departure. Zdeno Chara, Charlie McAvoy, Torey Krug, Brandon Carlo, Matt Grzelcyk and Kevan Miller were all pretty firmly ahead of McQuaid on the depth chart already.
This is Kampfer's second stint with the Bruins.
Just last season, McQuaid had just one goal, three assists, and 62 penalty minutes in 38 games played after returning from a broken right fibula suffered at the start of the season.
Kampfer, 29, has played 166 career National Hockey League games. He also contributed another goal and two points in 12 playoff games this past spring.
- NASA releases footage showing massive Hurricane Florence from space
- United Nations official: Powers cite need for peace in Idlib
- Weatherman forced to bail during live Hurricane Florence coverage
- Manchester City announce £500m club-record revenues close on United
- A $100,000 reward offered catch the strawberry needle saboteur
- Cancer will destroy almost 10 million of us this yr, file estimates
- Reporter mocked for 'Oscar-worthy' Hurricane Florence broadcast
- Florence, a Smelly Wet Unwanted Visitor, Besieges Carolinas
- Canelo Alvarez Training For 1st Round KO In Gennady Golovkin Rematch
- Apple's iPhone XS and XS Max are now available for pre-order