The Springboks pulled off a stunning performance characterised by grit and determination to hand the All Blacks their first defeat in the Rugby Championship at home since 2009.
Willie Le Roux, Malcolm Marx and Cheslin Kolbe crossed on Saturday night for the visitors, who had lost their previous two matches and been under huge pressure heading into the game. "Then we lost those two games in a row and you lose some belief, but we always targeted this game to say "we can turn things (around) and be real contenders at the World Cup". I think we showed a little bit of what we can do tonight. It would be unrealistic to expect them [Springboks] to get within 15 points of this All Blacks side, in this Rugby Championship, in this Wellington.
The Springboks started poorly, going 12-0 down inside the first 20 minutes as Jordie Barrett and Smith were put over as the All Blacks showcased their superb ability to offload under pressure.
The Springboks roared back into the game after Willie le Roux released the scintillating Dyantyi on the left flank to run all the way and touch down behind the poles leaving Handrè Pollard with a simple conversion.
Cheslin Kolbe, a second half replacement for Lukhanyo Am, was next on the scoresheet with an intercept try which was converted by Pollard as the visitors stretched their lead once again to 14 points.
Taylor and Savea crossed from lineout drives to set up a nail-biting finish that ended when Damian McKenzie lost the ball in a tackle.
"They came out with a plan and the plan was to put pressure on us and they did that".
In an incredible back-and-forth Test match, a mixture of stunning Springboks play and uncharacteristic errors from the hosts earned South Africa a first ever win at Westpac Stadium.
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic scores sensational strike to bring up 500th career goal
- SANA: Syrian air defenses shoot down several Israeli missiles
- Florence Targets North Carolina
- As Florence Surges Forward, Rethinking What Hurricane Preparation Looks Like
- Sarri joins elite club after Hazard hat trick for Chelsea
- Delhi cop’s son booked as his video thrashing woman goes viral
- Hurricane Florence Death Toll Climbs to 7, Including Mother and Baby
- 'Friends' Star Matthew Perry Reveals He Just Spent Three Months In Hospital
- Border official: Canadians entering U.S. risk lifetime ban for marijuana use
- Oklahoma among top-10 valuable teams in college football