The woman, seen in the video shared widely on social media and shown on TV channels, told the police that the accused, Rohit Tomar, called her to his friend's office in Uttam Nagar and sexually assaulted her, said Anto Alphonse, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Dwarka).
When Tomar allegedly threatened her again, the woman again approached the police. Tomar is the son of a policeman and has been absconding since Thursday night.
The police registered a case under preventive sections of the Criminal Procedure Code and arrested him.
In the video, which was filmed and posted online by Tomar's friend, he is seen dragging a woman by her hair, pushing her to the ground, kicking and punching her. The girl is reported to be an employee of a call centre and a friend of Tomar's ex-girlfriend.
The woman alleged that the accused started beating her when she told him that she will file a complaint with the police, he said.
The person filming it could be heard asking Tomar to stop beating the woman. Meanwhile, Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh said he saw the video and has asked for immediate action. But Tomar continued thrashing the woman and abusing her.
"He threatened her by saying that if she doesn't do as he says, he'll beat her up the same way as he is beating the woman in the video", the officer said, adding that charges of molestation and criminal intimidation were added in the First Information Report. Police said the video was shot on September 2 in Uttam Nagar.
The police said they had detained Rohit Tomar, and later released him on a personal bond.
"A video of a man thrashing a woman ( in Delhi's Tilak Nagar) has come to my notice". On Friday, Singh took to Twitter to inform that he had taken the cognisance of the case and ordered the Delhi Police to act.
- Relentless Liverpool sweep Spurs aside as Chelsea go top
- Taylor remains Browns' starting quarterback
- Liverpool receive boost as Tottenham boss reveals duo are out injured
- GM recalls over 1 million trucks and SUVs in the US
- Obesity tops 35 pc in 7 U.S. states
- Adrian Peterson immediately makes presence felt with Redskins
- Hungary to explore legal steps to challenge critical European Union ruling
- Cardi B hits back at Minaj
- 'Very dangerous' hurricane starts battering US East Coast
- IPhone Xs and iPhone Xs Max available to pre-order from today