Health Officials remind residents to eliminate standing water on their property. "Even though we monitor mosquito activity, conduct larvicide treatments, and fog areas of known activity, this is a reminder that people must be vigilant and take personal measures to keep from being bitten by mosquitoes", said Dick.
Washoe County has it's first West Nile Virus case acquired locally this year. Symptoms may include fever, headache, body ache, skin rash and swollen lymph glands. Rarely, individuals might experience more severe symptoms including high fever, severe headache, neck stiffness, and/or encephalitis, which is inflammation of the brain.
EEE and West Nile virus, like other viral diseases affecting a horse's neurological system, must be reported to the state veterinarian at 609-671-6400 within 48 hours of diagnosis. Healthcare providers should consider a WNV infection as a diagnosis for patients who are ill and have recently experienced mosquito bites. Suffolk County reported seven human cases in 2017, five human cases in both 2015 and 2016, one in 2014, and four in both 2011 and 2013. That includes using insect repellent and wearing long-sleeved shirts and long trousers. "Vaccinated animals are much less likely to contract deadly diseases such as EEE and West Nile Virus". The three horses are unrelated and from different parts of the county and represent a recent spike in confirmed cases in Wyoming.
To report mosquito problems or stagnant pools of water, call the Department of Public Works' Vector Control Division at 631-852-4270.
- Meghan Markle's Royal Life Is More Isolating Than Ever
- Adrian Peterson immediately makes presence felt with Redskins
- Florence disaster declared in North Carolina as flooding threat grows
- Former Patriots among 2019 HOF nominees
- Border official: Canadians entering U.S. risk lifetime ban for marijuana use
- Google teases Pixel 3 launch as iPhone XS preorders go live
- MVP Stewie Unanimously Selected to 2018 All-WNBA First Team
- Five Takeaways From The Ravens' Loss To The Bengals
- 'Friends' Star Matthew Perry Reveals He Just Spent Three Months In Hospital
- European Union slams Israel over expected demolition of Bedouin village