The last shark attack in the state to result in a death before this happened in 1936.
The victim in his mid-20s died in hospital from his injuries, said Wellfleet police officer Michael Hurley.
Great white shark sightings in Cape Cod have soared this year, with experts blaming increased seal levels close to the region's beaches.
Booth said others on the beach attempted to make a tourniquet while others frantically called 911.
Reynolds said Seashore rangers and Wellfleet police performed CPR on the victim on the beach after the bite.
A 61-year-old man from NY was seriously injured last month, just five miles away, after punching a shark in the gills off Long Nook Beach near the town of Truro.
"We've been surfing all morning right here and they were just further down", she said of the two boogie boarders.
A swimmer in the northeastern United States has died from an apparent shark bite, a police report on the rare incident said. "Right spot, wrong time, I guess".
The victim of the August attack, William Lytton, a 61-year-old neurologist, told the Boston Globe this week he hoped to be released at the end of the month from Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital in Boston. The National Park Service, which manages numerous picturesque beaches where white sharks tend to congregate, said it closed beaches for at least an hour about 25 times this year - more than double the annual average.
Shortly after, he was rushed to the Cape Cod Hospital by officials with Wellfleet Fire Department but succumbed to his injuries.
Barnstable County Commissioner Ron Beaty said he anxious this would happen.
Wendy Northcross, CEO of the Cape Cod Chamber of Commerce, said the Cape doesn't have a lot of experience in how to manage these shark attacks.
- Schefter: Browns are getting trade calls on Josh Gordon
- SANA: Syrian air defenses shoot down several Israeli missiles
- Suspected radicalised man drives car into crowd in southern France, wounding 2
- US Crude Oil Flowing Strong
- Border Patrol Officer Suspected of Killing Four Women in Texas
- Liverpool and Chelsea set Premier League first with ideal starts
- Hillary Clinton and Helen Keller to be removed from Texas history curriculum
- Pompeo: Sanctions Enforcement Key to N. Korean Denuclearization
- Trump and top banker tussle over who is smarter
- Boks back on track after New Zealand victory: Erasmus