I'm happy to wear the No. 7 [shirt], following Amancio, Juanito, [Emilio] Butragueno and Raul... and since I was a kid, I've seen them play with him ... Speaking on the choice of the shirt he chose at the Bernabeu, he said: 'Yes, it weighs a lot.
The striker who came through Los Blancos' youth system, before being sold under Zinedine Zidane, has taken the iconic number seven shirt at the Santiago Bernabeu - something he admits has attracted a fair amount of attention.
The 25-year-old scored five goals in 14 matches in his first spell in Real's senior side, and struck 21 times for Lyon across all competitions last season.
However, the Sun report that Real president Florentino Perez is ready to splash £330m for both Neymar and Kylian Mbappe.
Mariano, who returned to Madrid in August following a year at Lyon, has only one worldwide cap to his name for Dominican Republic, whom he qualifies for through his mother.
Real Madrid striker Mariano Diaz: I know I can handle No7
Madrid are looking to continue their dominance within European football and replace their former star and record-breaker Cristiano Ronaldo.
"It was a number that was free and to me it is a number that I like". And I said: 'I like the No. 7'. 'Many told me I should not choose it, but I'm not thinking about it.
"Others have told me that I have been fearless and others that I should not have taken it".
"That is something which I appreciated very much but then Madrid called, which is the club of my dreams and here I am. Sevilla were in talks with me but they know my team is Madrid, the club I love, and they understand this".
- PM Modi's 5-point 'masala' to kickstart economy
- I'm Happy To Play For Unai Emery, Mesut Ozil Insists
- Florence Targets North Carolina
- KAVANAUGH SPEAKS: Trump's Court Pick BREAKS SILENCE on Feinstein's Letter
- Oklahoma among top-10 valuable teams in college football
- Suspected radicalised man drives car into crowd in southern France, wounding 2
- Liverpool a step up for PSG, says Verratti
- Naomi Osaka "Not Sad" About Serena Controversy Overshadowing US Open Win
- Boks back on track after New Zealand victory: Erasmus
- Huawei Vows To Release Foldable Phone Within A Year