Shortly after the Browns released the statement, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported, citing sources, that Cleveland already has received some calls about trading Gordon and they might deal him before Monday.
This comes after Gordon spent Friday night with the Browns Giver Back group, helping dedicate the new George Daniel Field at Lorain High School, which the Browns covered the costs to refurbish. Cleveland.com's Mary Kay Cabot reported that Gordon was "not himself" when he showed up to the Browns' facility Saturday. Even though Gordon had a hamstring injury in the preseason, the injury news seemed odd because the receiver had practiced all week and was not listed on the injury report.
A trade could happen before Gordon is released.
There was an "overall trust issue" between Gordon and the team, according to a report from the NFL Network. A Browns official told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that the team's decision was inclusive of present and past issues.
On Saturday, Gordon was ruled OUT for this weekend's game due to a hamstring injury, but clearly that wasn't the only concern for members of the front office.
Gordon had a touchdown catch in the Browns' Week 1 tie with Pittsburgh.
Gordon, drafted by the Browns in the second round of the 2012 NFL Supplemental Draft, caught 180 passes for 3,106 yards and 16 touchdowns in 41 career games with the team.
The team had stuck with Gordon, 27, through all his personal troubles over a period of six years but will part ways with him on Monday officially.
Gordon has been suspended for a total of 56 games in his seven NFL seasons, 55 of which were league bans for positive drug and alcohol tests. He missed the entire 2015 and 2016 seasons before returning past year.
- Briefing: US lawmakers question Google over China search engine
- GM recalls over 1 million trucks and SUVs in the US
- Florence disaster declared in North Carolina as flooding threat grows
- Adrian Peterson immediately makes presence felt with Redskins
- Taylor remains Browns' starting quarterback
- Google teases Pixel 3 launch as iPhone XS preorders go live
- MVP Stewie Unanimously Selected to 2018 All-WNBA First Team
- Coast guard closes emblematic Greek beach after rockfall
- Delhi cop’s son booked as his video thrashing woman goes viral
- Canada sees more NAFTA talks this week, much work remains