Alvarez's first bout of the deal sees him step up to super-middleweight to face Rocky Fielding on 15 December. "The most important thing to me was being able to give the fans the opportunity to see me fight without having to pay the $70 or $80 for my fights on pay-per-view".
A key part of the deal for boxing fans is that it removes the sport's biggest PPV star in the US from the platform altogether as Alvarez's fights can now be accessed on DAZN, along with various other boxing and mixed martial arts events, for the monthly price of $9.99.
Boxer Canelo Alvarez poses for photos at Madison Square Garden in New York, Wednesday, Oct. 17, 2018. This mammoth deal, which will span 5 years and 10 fights, is being called "the highest paid guaranteed contract in sports history" by Canelo's promoter Golden Boy Promotions.
Alvarez won a high-profile bout against fellow boxing superstar Gennady Golovkin last September.
"Being part of this historic deal will require me to prepare myself even more and offer fans even better performances", he added.
The fight was the last of his broadcast deal with HBO, who recently announced they'll be exiting the boxing game after several decades. "I want to be one of the top ten Mexican fighters to become a three-division world champion", Canelo said.
'I think in that first fight, experience beat me as I was very young.
Alvarez said he has confidence DAZN will succeed.
The streaming service charges $9.99 (£7.60) a month rather than one-off, pay-per-view fees.
"I was never anxious because I'm very confident in myself", Canelo said.
Whilst Alvarez will still fight under the Golden Boy banner, his connection to DAZN could allow for fights with English fighters signed with Hearn. Alvarez said for now his plan is to return to 160 after the bout against Fielding (27-1, 15 KOs), a British fighter who appeared significantly taller than Alvarez, who will be trying to win a title in his third weight class. "We are committed to making this sport as accessible as possible and at an affordable price for all the fans".
- Novak Djokovic closes in on Rafael Nadal with Shanghai Masters victory
- Orange Is The New Black cast confirm final season and it’s devastating
- NLCS Preview: Game 5 Milwaukee Brewers at Los Angeles Dodgers
- Apple Watch to now connect hip, knee patients to doctors
- Duchess Meghan says she is 'running on adrenaline' during royal tour
- Ariana Grande breaks silence on Pete Davidson split
- She delivers: Belfast author Anna Burns scoops Man Booker Prize for 'Milkman'
- Major League Baseball clears Astros of wrongdoing in dugout incidents
- Polio-like illness affecting children across the country
- Oxnard Veteran Receives Medal of Honor for Vietnam Actions