On Tuesday, another body was found in the Colorado River in neighboring Burnet County, sheriff's office Capt. Tom Dillard said. The body was found at Flag Street and Sandstone Street, according to KVUE. Local authorities warned residents to evacuate promptly on Tuesday due to strong currents threatening homes and businesses in the area.
The Llano River rose to almost 40 feet Tuesday in the city of Llano - about 35 feet higher than it was just 24 hours earlier - after 8 to 10 inches of rain fell in the area over the past two days, the National Weather Service said.
Residents within about half a kilometre of the river where it passes through the city of Llano, northwest of Austin, were told to evacuate on Tuesday, as the river swelled to near-record flood levels. The bodies of three men were recovered and on Tuesday morning, one remained missing.
Fast-moving water on a river in Texas that soared above flood stage caused a bridge to crumble Tuesday, sending chunks of concrete downstream - and the entire incident was captured in a stunning video.
"One inch of rain can produce a flooded roadway within minutes", Ron Anderson, Llano County emergency management coordinator, told ABC News affiliate KVUE in Austin.
The Llano River's crest of 39.91 feet in Llano was just below the record high of 41.5 feet there in June 1935.
Several school districts also closed for the day and emergency personnel blocked access to more than 150 low-water crossings.
Heavy rains were also impacting other parts of the state.
Heavy rains are causing issues across Texas, the Forth Worth Fire Department says it responded to 80 traffic accidents related to weather conditions.
The swollen Llano River overran the FM 2900 bridge Wednesday morning in Kingsland, about 65 miles northwest of Austin. Forecasters urged those living in vulnerable and low-lying areas along the river to seek higher ground immediately.
- MS toddler found stabbed and dead in oven
- Pixel 3 security: Google details Titan M chip
- Kevin Durant's brother is already fueling free-agency rumors after the first game
- Patterson-led No. 12 Michigan routs No. 15 Wisconsin 38-13
- Google Maps Adds EV Charging Stations to Map
- Orange Is The New Black cast confirm final season and it’s devastating
- Apple Watch to now connect hip, knee patients to doctors
- Canelo Alvarez Signs $365-Million Fight Contract, Richest Deal Ever
- Dana White: Khabib Nurmagomedov Will Not Leave The UFC
- Pass the poutine: Weed is now legal in Canada and everyone's celebrating