There is still no official information about what caused the fire.
Six of those killed were reported to be youth players, and another three boys aged between 14 and 15 were injured in the blaze.
He did not take questions from reporters who also were outside the complex but added: "The most important thing right now is to minimise the suffering of these families".
Like many professional clubs in soccer-crazed Brazil, Flamengo has a youth development program for promising young players in their early teens.
The fire brigade said in a statement that the center was "in the process of" meeting fire safety standards but did not yet have a certificate of approval.
Overhead images captured by an AP drone showed a charred area with smoke emerging.
The blaze engulfed a dormitory at the youth team center where the players were sleeping.
The fire broke out at 5 am in the Vargem Grande district of Rio in a modern facility where the top-flight professional Flamengo squad also trains, the news website G1 said.
After years of financial difficulties, Flamengo last year spent £4.7million to expand the Ninho do Urubu facilities.Читайте также: France Recalls Ambassador to Italy Over Yellow Vest Visit
In addition to accommodation for young players, the facilities include several pitches, an aquatic park, a gym, a medical centre and a mini stadium.
A tweet from Flamengo on Friday morning said the club was "in mourning".
He said: 'What sad news!
The Rio de Janeiro governor, Wilson Witzel, has declared three days of mourning for the deaths of those affected by the floods and the fire. The fire was reportedly controlled around 7:20 a.m.
"I am very happy".
Although O Globo newspaper identified at least six of the dead as youth players, the only one named by a club official was Christian Esmerio, a 15-year-old goalkeeper.
"The majority of them [the team] stayed, my friends stayed [at the facility]", he said.
Teenage Real Madrid forward Vinicius Junior, who came up through the youth ranks at Flamengo before signing with the European Champions in 2017 for 45 million euros ($51 million), posted a message on Twitter asking people to pray for the victims. "Today I woke up and heard this awful news".При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2019 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.
Код для вставки в блог
- Rohit Sharma becomes highest run scorer in Twenty20
- Red Bull and Mercedes to launch 2019 F1 cars on same day
- 2018 fourth hottest year on record
- Pebble Beach Pro-Am: Phil Mickelson one shot off first-round lead
- Whoopi Goldberg Defends Liam Neeson: 'This Man Is Not' a Bigot
- Equine flu crisis: biggest shutdown since foot and mouth hits racing
- Nikola Mirotic reportedly headed to Bucks
- Update Now to Fix Group FaceTime on Your iPhone, iPad, and Mac
- What you need to know about the State of the Union address
- Acting U.S. attorney general will testify before House panel