Rob Kearney has been recalled at full-back by an injury-hit Ireland for their Six Nations worldwide away to Scotland at Murrayfield on Saturday as the reigning champions look to return to winning ways.
Ireland's defence of their Grand-Slam title ended at the first hurdle last weekend going down to a comprehensive 20-32 defeat to their English counterparts in Aviva Stadium.
The Former Connacht player says Schmidt's Ireland side are more reserved than the Leinster side the New Zealander coached from 2010-13.
"So I'm not sure how they summarise Plan A, because I think we have a very varied game".
Rob Kearney returns at full-back, while Jack Conan comes in at No. 8 in the absence of CJ Stander (facial injury).
Garry Ringrose injured his hamstring in the loss in Dublin, so Farrell and Bundee Aki will make up the center pairing.
'Robbie has a dead leg and just hasn't recovered in time, ' said Ireland head coach Joe Schmidt. It's a knock on top of a knock.
This is Schmidt's last Six Nations in charge of Ireland before he stands down after this year's World Cup in Japan.
"It does make it hard; the problem is he maybe could have played".
Toner is the third Ireland lock lost to injury after Iain Henderson and Tadhg Beirne. "But if you get another bump on it, it debilitates you quickly, and then you have to make another change".
'You've got Chris Farrell sitting in the wings, massively motivated to do his best, ' said Schmidt. "It probably took us until today to really get a spring back in our step and really get hungry because we can't pass up a second opportunity".
'We're just going to have to forge ahead, but it's an exciting opportunity to give Chris Farrell a run against Scotland.
- NBA Grizzlies will retire Spaniard Marc Gasol's No. 33
- Pep Guardiola left stunned by Benjamin Mendy's Hong Kong trip
- Heat agreed to trade Guards Johnson and Ellington to Suns for Anderson
- Ohio Dad Leaves Baby On Train To Smoke A Cigarette
- Ubisoft address The Division 2's private beta bugs
- Germany Punishing Facebook for Social Media Dominance
- Protecting Girls in Iraq from Female Genital Mutilation [EN/AR/KU]
- Russia, America and a new nuclear arms race
- Trump orders flags at half-staff to honor John Dingell
- Marlins trade Realmuto to Phillies for Alfaro, prospects